Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
So my friend wanted me to erase his thumb drive. I thought "ok, no problem" So i format it and in the middle of formating/partioning i get an unknown error. Upon further investigation, he had a secret encrypted partition. I need to get rid of it so I can have the full 1 gb of space. I tried portioning, formating and everything with disk utility. Then I used windows box and did that. Then I used a special Maxtor software thing. The software said it worked and that it formated the drive, however it did not mount and was just as it was before. HELP! I would like to restore the drive to the original fresh state by any means possible.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I think all USB drives come FAT-formatted. I don't think Disk Utility is capable of creating FAT filesystems. Are you sure you can't just plug the thing into a PC running Windows, make one big partition on it and put a FAT filesystem on that partition? That should be all there is to it...

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
no, i tried that, it does not work. My computer or what ever does not detect it. Anyway I can't format the thing with ANY format. they give me an error or it does not work. I tried HFS, Unix, NTFS, Fat 16, Fat 32. They all don't work. I even used Maxtor Max Blast 3. I need like a force format thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.