USB thumb drive programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Oct 4, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a list of usb programs particularly good for when you are at a school computer etc. (some sort of proxy program would be amazing, maybe aim, or maybe vnc so i can access my home computer)?

2. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. mufflon macrumors 6502

I don't know what you mean by "usb program" - afaik usb is a hardware protocol - not an application...

... if you would be so kind and explain yourself I'm sure more would be interested in replying with what little they may or may not know :)

4. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

im pretty sure that he means portable applications that you can run from a USB drive, the best i have found is portable firefox

5. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

If it is like we asume and you want to put programs on a usb stick then what file system is the stick? And what machines will you plug it into? If its all mac then your options are endless, if its a hybrid type of sollution then it will depends on what you want to accomplish. :cool:

6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps/

this is a good link. feels kinda insecure if you know that your friend's messenger program keeps the passwords and auto-logons. that's what happened to me. my friend started making prankcalls and everybody got pissed at me. :rolleyes:

7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i mean a program that can be run directly from a thumb drive.. I downloaded a proxyfox.. but the homepage is saying the proxy cannot be reached.. so does anyone know of any other programs i could use?

8. steelfist macrumors 6502a

well, the program list in my link does fit your discription.

if you are using windows, you can make your USB usage go one step further with U3 (needs u3 usb drive) or this other program that i forgot it's name.

9. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i realized that on a lot of the computers in school i cant get to my thumb drive... or i need to figure out a work around.. i know there is one because i remember seeing a kid last year use his drive and was talking on irc with it..
    There is no my computer listed or any other way to get to the drive.. only in like word i can get to it...