USB Thumb Drive won't appear in 10.3.3

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hesitaliandad, Mar 16, 2004.

1. hesitaliandad macrumors member

after updating to 10.3.3 i can no longer access my usb thumb drive. it won't mount on the desktop. it does however show up in the system profiler if i leave it plugged into the usb port. any help would be greatly appreciated. i can't live without this thing. thanks in advance.

2. idofotos macrumors newbie

same here

My simple tech 120 gig hard drive wont mount since I upgraded, If I find anything ouy will let you know, it worked in panther till I did the 10.3 upgrade

3. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i'll do the same.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

are you plugging in the thumb drive directly into one of USB ports on the base of your Mac or through a hub (keyboard hubs included)? if it's a USB2 thumb drive, it may be drawing too much power to be used in a hub. you get a warning on the screen and the thumb drive won't mount, but will show up in the system profiler...

(but considering it used to work for you before 10.3.3, the problem could be "real"... :( )

5. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. i am plugging it directly into my powerbook, and it is a 1.1 drive. i tried going through my keyboard hub, but nothing there too. i am really frustrated about this. i use it everyday to swap files from to and from my windows machine. i can burn cd's and email stuff to myself, but that is just a pain. :(

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ugh, sorry man. :( sounds like a genuine problem associated with 10.3.3. i haven't tried mine since the upgrade yesterday but now i'm a bit nervous.

i know what you mean. it's so much easier than other methods of transferring files, except over a network.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I had a problem in 10.3.2 with a card reader. I plugged it into another ocmputer, saw it worked, and then plugged it back into the mac. different port. it worked then..

i have no idea why (it was showing in profiler all along). But that worked. give it a try.

8. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

i've tried both ports on the powerbook, still nothing. i've repaired permissions twice, rebooted countless times. still nothing. i guess i just have to wait til apple patches it. :(

9. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

similar problems

i'm having a similar problem since returing from school. Even before the update, my printer would sometimes "refuse" to print. i thought it was my printer, but then my USB 1.1 Thumb Drive wouldn't connect either. I reset my PMU and for about a day, my USB devices worked fine. However, they are begining to act up again. Does anyone have a solution? I'm thinking about calling Apple tomorrow to see what's up. Is this just a AlBook problem?

10. benny.c macrumors newbie

same here. updated and it vanished. shows in profiler but will not mount :confused:

11. idofotos macrumors newbie

more problems

just booted up this morn and no mouse, had it plugged into the keyboard, also no keyboard, rebooted several times, finaly plugged in a MS wireless mouse to back of computer and got it working, firwire works, keyboard is now working, how can I get rid of the upgrade, I am tempted to reinstall my first version of panther, what would I loose if I did that, This upgrade is a pain

12. benny.c macrumors newbie

I am a recent switcher so don't know that much about what is lost in a reinstall. I was thinking along the same lines as you though.

Maybe one of the regulars could advise what a full reinstall involves and the best way to approach it.

13. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

ok, so a guy on the apple support discussion boards says that all Lexar jump drives and card readers don't work in 10.3.3 and that Lexar and apple know this and are working on a patch. there are all kinds of people with similar problems posting on that message board. until there is a patch, i guess we wait. i'm totally frustrated about this.

14. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

still problems

still having problems after trying numerous attempts to fix it. it must be a software issue, i just hope that apple fixes it soon, i have a lot of stuff to print out :(

15. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

The problem appears to not be universal. I just tried 256MB and 512MB JumpDrives 2.0 Pro (Lexar) in my CRT iMac running 10.3.3, and both mounted and worked just fine.

16. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

you are right. to my knowledge, it only affects the USB 1.1 drives, not the USB 2.0 ones. i need a patch fast.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

is it limited to Lexar??

my non-Lexar worked fine but it's USB2...

i'm yet to try non-Lexar CF reader that is USB1...

18. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i have an external USB hard drive and ever since installing Panther (10.3.0) it does no mount when i plug it in unless i reboot the machine... quite annoying.

19. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

i think it is limited to Lexar. Someone posted a link on the Apple support boards to
    macfixit where they talk about the issue. sounds promising, but vague.

20. benny.c macrumors newbie

don't think so. my ext drive is a western digital and it's USB2

21. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

don't think so

i'm using a Sony MicroVault 64MB USB 1.1 and a Canon S600 printer and they aren't working

22. hesitaliandad thread starter macrumors member

i was wrong about the only Lexar thing. we all got screwed.
    :rolleyes:

23. darrendb macrumors newbie

Got my Lexar USB Drive to work with 10.3.3

So I was having the same problems, and after reading these posts, looked down and saw an icon for the Lexar Safe Guard program that came with the drive, to control partitions, etc. I tried switching to the Private partition, got a password failure saying the device was write-protected. I saw the lexar temporarily mount on the desktop, then disappear. I then went to the Menu Bar...Tab Menu...Activate, and pressed the Switch to Public button, and it finally mounted. I'm afraid to reboot, but I have normal access to the Lexar drive for now!!

Good Luck...I didn't find any info on uninstalling the 10.3.3 update...anyone?

d

24. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I doubt this helps any, but I just got a new Powerbook today and the first thing I did was update to 10.3.3 and I don't have any problems with my Sandisk Cruzer, USB 2.0 thumb drive. Mounts just fine.

I have a 16meg Dell usb drive that also works just fine.

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

tried my USB2 CF reader/writer... made by a japanese company. had no problems.

so far, i have two USB storage devices, both USB2, working fine with 10.3.3...