USB thumb drives...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cubist, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    A USB thumb drive might be a useful thing.
    (1) unlike a PDA, it doesn't have a limited number of 'partners'.
    (2) it's small.
    (3) interfacing is simple.

But my questions are:
    (a) Does it need drivers?
    (b) Does it come with them?
    (c) Can I use it to transfer files between a Windows PC and a Mac?
  2. ce242 macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2003
    Southampton, England
    Yes you can use it to move files between a mac and a pc, I do it all the time with mine! You should not need drivers unless your PC is running an older operating system (XP does not need any drivers), but they will nearly all come with a driver CD.

3. cubist thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Thanks for the quick response! I'll go get one then. Any specific brand recommended?
  4. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    They're all pretty much the same...however, I personally have had good luck with Lexar. I've got a 1gb Lexar Jumpdrive that my work provides for me, and I use it to transfer files back and forth between Mac/PC all the time. Sometimes I don't know what I did without it! They're very handy.
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Look in a (old) computermagazine that is testing them. Some drives work better then other drives. Some drives even do need a driver to work properly and the other works just fine. But they should all work without a driver in theory... That's why I say look in a computermagazine that has a test of them or look at a consumersguide mag/website. There was recently a test in a Mac magazine in the Netherlands were some drives did need a driver. Unfortunately I cannot find the article.