1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

USB To MIDI Adaptor Wanted

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by fastlanephil, Sep 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I'm interested in a USB to MIDI adaptor so you can convert the USB out from a controller to standard MIDI out.

This is for using a Akai EWI USB wind controller for breath and a keyboard for playing the notes.

I watched a video of a pro using the Yamaha WX5 wind controller, which has MIDI out, with a keyboard and it worked pretty slick but the WX5 is expensive.

I've seen demos of a few home solder job units but nothing commercial.

2. fastlanephil, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I did find a couple of these devices. The least expensive is made by Kenton in the UK and is $113 USD.

Shipping from the UK to the west coast brings it up to $151.

Maybe someone in the states will carry it.

3. macrumors 6502

A number of USB devices provide MIDI i/o as well. I have several: Yamaha MotifES6 and S90ES (MIDI i/o), and M-Audio Trigger Finger (MIDI out only). I'm sure there are many others. Perhaps you can find a device that will provide you with more utility than a simple USB-MIDI converter.

There used to be a ton of cheap USB to MIDI converters. MOTU, MAudio, etc. I haven't checked lately. If you plan on using a computer, Most DAWs do auto-channelizing.

Breath controllers are VERY cool.

4. macrumors G4

This is easy to do if you have a computer. Have the computer loop the MIDI In back to MIDI Out.

Pluge the keyboard into the Mac using a USB cable then you buy an inexpensive "Uno" type usb/MIDI cable and I think you can conect them inside the audio/midi setup app. If not you can route in Logic.