USB vs. Firewire for iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stabes5150, Aug 22, 2004.

1. stabes5150 macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this has been asked before.... for PC users, how long does it take to upload mp3s (say 15 songs/mp3s for example) to an iPod via a USB 2.0 port versus a Firewire port? I understand that a Firewire connection is faster, but is the difference in seconds, minutes or hours?

Thanks!

2. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Seconds i presume.I use usb 2.0 to transfer my songs and it doesnt take that long, about 5-7 seconds for ten songs.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I have a feeling the difference is negligible.

Lee Tom

4. justinshiding macrumors member

Supposedly usb 2.0 is faster for transfers. I use firewire since im always charging the ipod too and firewire is supposedly faster for that. I've never found a situation where it's made a difference actually....hehe i transfered 10 gigs of stuff in around 20 minutes (give or take)...seems fast enough for me

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

not exactly what you are looking for since it is mac centric, but some good info on usb vs firewire speeds. towards the end of the article is mentions usb 2 speeds on a pc, unfortunately no speeds listed for fw on a pc. still an interesting read though, perhaps someone can find a pc version somewhere.

[edit] i don't speak much german (none in fact) but the images here tell an interesting tale[/edit]

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Wow, that’s surprising. I always thought FireWire would be better than USB 2.0. But this story shows USB 2.0 in front of FireWire when using an iPod on a PC. I wonder if it’s because of the PC or if you would get the same results on a Mac.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

USB speeds will depend on your CPU speed. USB 2 is theoretically faster, but in most tests FW beats it hands down. Especially with large or streaming files. So if you have a ton of files you're transferring or if they're larger, FW is the way to go. However, to answer you're question, if you have a pretty fast PC (well, pretty much anything over a 1GHz CPU) the difference will probably be negligible. From a few seconds with small or fewer files (like 15, 5MB mp3s), to maybe a few minutes tops for larger or more files.

If you already have USB 2 it's no biggy for what you'd do, but if you have firewire or can get a firewire card cheap, I'd use that. Do a search in the forums for previous threads on the subject that can probably go into more detail.