USB WebCam integration with iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SuperCompu2, Dec 27, 2006.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I'm using the program/driver "macam" for my USB webcam, but it still wont show up in iChat. Anyone using this software know how to correct this?

My Webcam is a Logitech, in case you needed/wanted to know...

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I have a Logitech, too, my friend. In order to get any usb webcam to work with iChat after you install its driver (such as macam), you need to buy, download, and install iChatUSBCam by eCamm Networks. It's an amazing little application that allows you to use your webcam just like an iSight.

3. TopGear macrumors member

How about Skype?

Did anyone get a USB webcam from Logitech to work with Skype?

I was just given a Logitech QuickCam Express Plus. Thinking of trying to set it up with Skype on a Mac Mini (1.6 Core Duo). Will this work?

4. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

tried ichatusb, doesnt recognize my camera as a video source...any other ways around this?

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    It should work with Skype if it works with iChat via macam and iChatUSBCam (I'm not sure you need iChatUSBCam for Skype, and macam is free, so it's worth a try without iChatUSBCam first. I had to install it before the camera wouldn't crash Yahoo Messenger and Address Book.).

Are you sure your camera was listed on the macam website as being compatible? Only cameras that are compatible with macam or another driver will work with iChatUSBcam.

edit: Also, you could try iOExpert's webcam driver for OS X. It's available here and its camera compatibility listing is here.