USB webcam on Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by michael666, Apr 6, 2004.

1. michael666 macrumors member

I have a USB webcam that used on my Windows PC before. Now, owning a Mac, I'd like to use it there as well. However, iChat does not recognize it. Is there any other video chat software for the Mac that can also communicate with some windows software?

Thanks for any help!

2. spav macrumors newbie

look for macam on versiontracker. It's kindof a hack type thing, but it might work depending on your camera model.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yahoo! Messenger will probably allow you to use it.

4. michael666 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your answers. Unfortunately, it still does not work. My camera worked with the macam standalone application, but not when I copied the drivers to /Library/Quicktime in order to use it with other applications like iChat. Also, the Yahoo Messenger did not recognize my camera (Tevion).

Has anyone similar experiences with macam?

5. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

Try iChatUSBCam, a $10 program from Ecamm Network (www.ecamm.com)
    you also need Unsanity's Application Ehancer
    Here's how it works: after installing a web-cam driver, you install Application Enhancer and then install ichatusbcam . After u restart and launch ichat, a green camera logo should appear next to your icon;meaning that you usb web cam is ready to use.

This is from macworld May 2004 p. 24

6. michael666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your help. I found out that there is a special version of macam that also works with Panther (the "normal" version apparently does not). Having downloaded this, my webcam now works fine with Yahoo Messenger, and using iChatUSBCam, it also works with iChat.