Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Will it work? Just trying to decide whether to keep my B/W or sell it. I need to get a PCI IDE controller in it and wifi access. If I can do so cheaply ($100-ish) then I'll probably keep it. Otherwise I'll probably sell it.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
munckee said:
Will it work? Just trying to decide whether to keep my B/W or sell it. I need to get a PCI IDE controller in it and wifi access. If I can do so cheaply ($100-ish) then I'll probably keep it. Otherwise I'll probably sell it.

USB wifi adaptors are problematic because driver support ranges from flaky to non-existent.

A better way to go is an ethernet based wireless bridge. I use a linksys WET11, and its been great. No drivers, just hook it up, set it up and go. Linksys also makes the WET54, and belkin, dlink and macsense.com all make similar devices.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
strider42 said:
USB wifi adaptors are problematic because driver support ranges from flaky to non-existent.

A better way to go is an ethernet based wireless bridge. I use a linksys WET11, and its been great. No drivers, just hook it up, set it up and go. Linksys also makes the WET54, and belkin, dlink and macsense.com all make similar devices.

Is a bridge significantly cheaper than just getting a wireless card?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
more expensive -- usually in the $50-70 dollar range. deal/sales/refurb can get that down to the $30-40 range.

advantage is that the bridge works with any ethernet connected device. or several. setup the bridge, plug the bridge into a $15 four port switch, and setup several things on ethernet if you need more than one connection.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
4JNA said:
more expensive -- usually in the $50-70 dollar range. deal/sales/refurb can get that down to the $30-40 range.

advantage is that the bridge works with any ethernet connected device. or several. setup the bridge, plug the bridge into a $15 four port switch, and setup several things on ethernet if you need more than one connection.

Yeah, but the problem with that is that I already have a wireless router (hence the reason I need a USB dongle or wifi card). The bridge solves a problem that I don't have (needing to connect multiple devices).

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
munckee said:
The bridge solves a problem that I don't have (needing to connect multiple devices).

works just as well with only one device. just thought i would mention the multiple thing. usually the reason that they cost so much more. a 'game console wireless' adapter would do the same thing (they are just bridges with fancy stickers, xbox, psp, etc). :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.