Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I have an old rev. A eMac, and I want to be able to access the internet wirelessly with it. Problem is, it doesn't have an airport card and eMacs are notoriously tough to upgrade. Would a USB wifi receiver work in place of an Airport card?

Also: The eMac only has USB 1.1. How much will that effect speed if I go with this solution?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I don't know if things have changed recently, but a couple years ago I tried to help a friend get his iBook to work with a USB wifi dongle, and we failed. The software for Macs just wasn't there, and even though the company (D-Link) offered drivers online, we just couldn't get it to play nice with the Mac.

You may be better off to look for an AirPort card on eBay or from a MacRumors member. That's what we ended up doing with the iBook. It really is the better way to go. That way you know it will all work like it's designed to. You'll probably end up spending $60-70 for the card. I have no personal experience with taking eMacs apart, but I don't imagine it will be too difficult. Apple's support section of its web site is excellent for step-by-step, illustrated instructions for doing these types of things.

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Behind the CD door flap is a black panel held on by 2 screws. Remove the screws and the panel and you'll see the airport card slot and antenna wire.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Get An Airport Card And Forget Everything Else!

Don't waste your time and money on USB dongles, ethernet bridges, ect.
Original Airport cards consistently sell on Ebay for $50 - $55.
This really is the best solution, as the eMac has a built-in antenna which plugs
into the card. Not to mention that it Just Works™...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.