USB Wireless adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joetronic, May 18, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    I want to use my iBook on a few wireless networks in the office and in a few coffie houses I frequent. My problem is I don't have a AirPort card, and this is the only card this model will take (G3 900.) the only play I can find one is eBay, and they run around 70$ there. I don't want to pay this much for a wireless card for a older laptop that I might use wireless on maybe 1 to 2 hours a day, if that.

Are there any USB or even firewire wireless adapters that are not crap. I'm lookign to maybe spend 30 bucks or so.

Thanks in advance
  2. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    The range on USB wifi adaptors is so awful they're basically not worth spending 30 bucks on.

Get an AirPort card, you won't regret it. The iBooks have ::amazing:: wifi range, you'll see networks you didn't even know exist.
  3. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I tried D-Link DW-122 (i think that's Model No.) and I had a horrible experience using it. It would connect to my router for 30 seconds then it would crash my eMac. I looked around for a solution but I didn't find anything that worked. I too, tried looking at ebay for an old Airport Card but I can't believe how expensive they're going for. Apple should have made the Airport Extreme card backward compatible w/ the older models. In the end, I just moved my router close to the eMac. I suggest just paying for the Airport Card at ebay or somewhere they still sell it. It's gonna cost you about $20 to $30 for the wireless adapter anyway, spend the extra $40 and spare yourself a headache and you get an extra USB port.
  4. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    thanks for the replys. Do you know anywhere besides eBay I could pick a original airport card up?
  5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

I agree. That thing was HORRIBLE!!

It seems like we just had a thread about this a while ago...
    and a search brings it up..

Anywhoo, I found the link I posted last iBook G3 airport thread, and

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    another option, that is far better than USB options, is an ethernet based wireless bridge like the linksys wet11 or wet54. They work with the ethernet port, don't require drivers and are independent of the OS. USB versions need drivers and support can be flaky. I use my wet11 and it works like a champ. more epxensive than USB versions, but much better and more likely to work.

Or an airport card. Forget USB in my opinion.
  7. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    i agree with everything above, yesterday i just got some 802.11b/g usb dongles from "airlink 101" at fry's thinking they would work for 30 dollars. but they did not work at all, the macs saw them but did nothing with them, big waste of money, gonna return them today. anybody know if i can use a blue tooth usb adapter as a "modem" to surf the web? my ethernet port on my 41 dollar imac G3 does not work so im looking for an alternative before getting airport.