USB Y-Splitter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reykjavik, Sep 26, 2004.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

How come there is no such thing as a USB Y-Splitter? Am I really the first person that has ever wanted to hook up one device (printer in this case) to two computers??? Fart machines they have plenty of, usb y-splitters, can't find um anywhere!

2. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

I don't believe this is possible.

You need a print server and a network.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or a KVM switch.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

USB isn't analog, you can't just "split" it. Hook up the printer to one of the machines, and setup print sharing. If you don't have a network, just plug in a cross-over ethernet cable between the machines. You can use a regular ethernet cable if your Macs are relatively new. If there's a big distance between computers, get AirPort cards in each machine and do an Ah-Hoc network (computer to computer). There are lots of options available for sharing a printer between computers.

5. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really, its not the printing itself that I have a problem splitting (as that is wireless so it works fine), but rather the "all-in-one" options that go along with the printer. So for instance, scanning a picture to my computer right now can't be done, because the usb is plugged into the wireless airort express, rendering its scanning feature useless. If I were able to split the usb into two outgoing usb then I could put one into the wireless router and one into my main computer thus allowing at least my main computer to use the scanning feature. Analog or not I refuse to believe that we can send a robot to mars but cant find out how to take one outgoing usb plug and divert that signal into two outgoing usb plugs (even if it has to have power added).

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The best you are going to do is a switch. It connects the printer to one computer, then you hit a switch and it connects it to the other computer (the first computer is discconected).

Here is an example:
    http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40sw-12100.htm

This one says it supports Win 98/Me/2000/XP, but I don't see why it won't work with a mac, or a mac and pc. But search for switch not splitter.

7. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I think as of now thats pretty much I only option since I dont want to get rid of the printer. It should work with mac, ill keep you updated.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No problem, Hope it works. I wish you the best of luck.

9. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

Just received the USB Switch today in the mail and it worked perfectly. Plug and play (with mac at least). Its a bit expensive (36 bucks after shipping) but well worth it consider how easily it works. Plus, although they do call it a switch, there is no actual switch or switching involved. Its basically a Y-Splitter. So, if anyone reads this looking for the same thing i requested, here it is, works great.

One side note: It came witha cd for windows drivers (havent tested it on windows), and also Mac drivers. The printing works perfectly with AND without the drivers up and running. Not sure why they exist (maybe 10.1??)..ah well, whatever, it works so thats all I care about :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What do you mean there is no switching? Is it smart enough to see incomeing data and switch itself?

11. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

any others interested in this should also consider the Keyspan USB Server.

It hooks up to your network, and has four USB ports. Anyone on your wired or wireless network can use the USB devices. Works for printers, scanners, keyboards and mice. They state that it works with drives, just slowly.

This item was just introduced a couple of months ago, so it's still in its infancy...and uses USB 1.0. They say they will be releasing a 2.0 version next year, which will be great for me since I want a new iMac....but the only cord I want to have showing is the power cord. This way I'll be able to hook up my pocket drive, scanner, printer, camera, etc without an cables connected to the iMac. By then hopefully Apple will release a BT ipod dock as well! bye bye wires.

12. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose, it really just looks like a 2 port USB hub,, no real switching involved, but maybe its doing more than meets the eye.

13. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

That does sound amazing! You have a link or a price or something?

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ask and ye shall receive:
    Keyspan USB Server

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

It's not a magic bullet...it's only a couple of months old, so it does have its quirks, but it has gotten decent reviews from PC magazine and some others.

It costs $130

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

A great idea that's been a long time coming...but I'll be waiting for USB 2.0
    I don't get why Apple didn't come up with one of these first...Airport Express is nice and all, but it's only USB function is a print server. I think Apple needs to make one of their own.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It seems like a great idea, and a usb2.0 version would be awesome to share harddrives. But $130 seems a little steep.