USB1 und USB2 compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CmdrLaForge, Dec 3, 2003.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

just a simple question. I like to buy a HP printer with USB2 port. My iBook has only a USB1 port. Is it possible to connect them ? Is it the same connector ?

Do I need a special cable ?

Thanks for your replys
    CmdrLaForge

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

USB 2 is completely back-compatible with USB 1.1 so your printer will work with your iBook (only at 1.1 speeds mind). It works both ways (i.e. USB 2 devices can recognise USB 1.1 - your printer will just use USB 1.1.)

I have a USB2 printer with USB2 PowerBook and USB2 cable and it aint any faster :(. Don't know what the hype is with USB 2...;)

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

USB1 and USB2 were built for cross compatability - no difference barring speed.

It is part of the USB2 spec that any USB2 device must be able to also operate at USB1 speeds with no hardware configuration needed. An example, USB@ CD-RW drive can burn at 24x. A USB1 CD-RW drive can only do 4x. When you put a 24x USB burner on a USB1 port the burner will automatically slow to 4x burning.

Hope that makes the whole thing clearer.
    Same connector, Same power (500mA),Differnent Speed (USB2:480Mbps USB1:12Mbps)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: USB1 und USB2 compatibility ?

All USB cables today are advertised as USB 2 cables. There is no difference between USB [1.1] and USB 2 cables.

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks guys,

your replys are a big help for me.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge