USB2 - are we going to miss the boat?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jacg, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I see those invaluable (but slow) USB 'disks' (eg DiskOnKey) are beginning to go the way of USB2. Now assuming these are way quicker, won't it be a shame if new macs can't use them?

Surely consumer printers, scanners and cameras are more likely to start exploiting USB2 than firewire and those without a PCI slot are going to be stuck in the dark ages.

If Steve's now in bed with Intel, why are we not getting USB2 built into new Macs?

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: USB2 - are we going to miss the boat?

Because USB2 doesn't need to be used for most of those things... really. Do I need a Insanly speedy transfer to my printer?
    Um, no. My camra, okay maybe.
    My DV Camara has firewire so it is fast...

We are not missing anything big, really. USB2 isn't gonna explode like USB and Firewire did.

It will come.

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Because USB 2.0 is approx the speed of Firewire 400, which is half the speed of Firewire 800.

I have to agree, USB 2.0 should have been with this latest round of updates, or before. It's cheap to add, and it uses the same connector. And a USB 2.0 slot can run a 1.1 device without a problem.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's obvious that USB2 competes with FW400. Since FW is an Apple technology, offering USB2 is basically saying "use this competitor's tech rather than ours". Naturally, I don't see this happening.

5. Bear macrumors G3

And of course, those with PowerMacs running OS X can buy a USB 2 pci card.

Scanners are a good reason for wanting USB 2.

6. jacg thread starter macrumors 6502a

jacg

Sorry I should have been clearer - my worry was that consumer digital stills cameras would go USB2. A speed increase here would be very nice indeed.

And what if budget scanners went USB2? I wouldn't turn down more speed.

'DiskOnKey'-esque devices are really useful, but they are slow. Mine is only 32Mb, so it doesn't really matter, but newer, larger capacity (and still very cheap) versions are appearing. Firewire-like speeds would surely be a good thing?

Do USB2 and FW400 really compete, or just overlap a bit? I understood that FW was way more versatile because of its powering potential and computer-computer linking. This doesn't mean that manufacturers are going to put FW in USB consumer products - surely Apple knows this.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I use a FireWire based CompactFlash reader for downloading my photos. So USB2 isn't a concern for me here.
    Canon has two USB 2 scanners for under $100. (US) One in the $60 or so price range and the other in the $90ish range.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i like that usb 2 is fairly new..but isn't as good as firewire, yet firewire 800 has just come out. way to kill the competition as far as peripheral connections!!!