USB2 cables different?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by condor, May 12, 2006.

1. condor macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying this external hard drive (250GB Western Digital for about $90 after rebates). It doesn't have a firewire connection as far as I can tell, but connects via USB2. My question is whether any USB cable I have laying around will work, or if I have to get a new one that supports USB2. I have several older USB 1 cables from various printers and scanners that I will use if they don't limit the speed of the connection. So, basically, is there such a thing as a USB 1 and a USB 2 cable, or are they all the same? Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm pretty sure you'll need a USB 2 cable, though i'm not totally sure.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd try it with the old cable and see if it works (at the correct speed).

4. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

An old cable may cause slower speeds or more errors...electrically, they are the same, but USB2 certifited cables are usually better sheilded.

That said, I have a stack of cables I got for 99 cents each (they claim to be USB2, but I really really doubt they are), and they work fine on hard drives.

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Am I missing something here? It comes with a USB2 cable, so why would you have to use an old USB1 cable you have laying around?

6. condor thread starter macrumors member

I just got back from buying it, and indeed it does include a USB2 cable. I'm not sure how you found that out since I didn't see anything about it on the Staples site. Anyway, I am happily backing up my data as I type this and all seems to be working well.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It was a good assumption. Pretty much everything, except printers, comes with the needed cables.

8. condor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I've been stung too many times by cheap printers that didn't include the cable, so I assumed that nobody did.

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yeah printers are cheap, but most any other external device comes with cable especially hard drives.