USB2 PC Card + TiBook = ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rower_CPU, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I bought an Adaptec USB2 PC Card adapter for my TiBook to finally be able to take advantage of USB2 devices (OK, mostly for my shuffle). I figured that a decent brand name like Adaptec would work fine, but so far no dice.

When I connect the shuffle or another USB2 flash drive, the access light on the device just flickers really fast but doesn't mount. System Profiler shows the high speed bus under my USB devices as well as 2 additional USB 1 buses. I tried it in 9.2.2 and 10.3.7 and got the same behavior. Under X, a menu item pops up in the menu bar and says the following when clicked:
    Unknown Vendor
    USB Controller
    Power off Card

Only the last option is selectable.

Other things seem to work fine - a Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro wireless mouse, a digital camera, a Wacom tablet - all USB 1 devices.

I've done some searching (the web in general, Adaptec's site and on Apple's support kbase/discussions) and haven't found anything to help. Anyone have experience with this card or something similar, or any advice for getting these PC Cards to work?

2. Bear macrumors G3

To me, it sounds like your low power devices are working while USB devices that require more power aren't. Try a USB2 deive that's either low power or one that has its own powersource to verify that it's a power issue.

The first two lines describe the inserted PC Card, so only the last item being selectable is correct.

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmm, I didn't think that flash drives required that much power - the card itself has a power input it says to use for high power devices...might have to try that. I don't have any other USB2 devices to try here, just the shuffle and another flash drive.

I also read somewhere that USB1 devices pull their power directly off the mainboard, while USB2 devices need the extra juice...seems weird to me. Are other USB2 PC cards like this, too?

4. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Yes, this is what is happening. I recently got Belkin USB2.0 PC Card, and ran into the same issue. The Belkin, however, comes with a power adaptor. If I plug it in than I can use any device that requires power from the USB ports. My guess is that the PC Card interface cannot provide enough power for both the card itself, plus anythings that would be connected to it.

Here's a picture of the PC Card in the Powerbook with the power adapter (taken from my cell phone, so the quality is kinda sad...)

[​IMG]

5. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Cool - thanks for the info you two. I'm off to Fry's to find a power adapter. :)

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I had to use the power input to get my flash drive to work. I guess if you use it then you won't have any further problems.

Yes they are, see my post above :D

7. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Just to clarify something: should I need an external power source for the card even when attaching an external device with its own power? I just remembered my Lacie external hard drive can connect via USB2 and tried it - it shows up under System Profiler and the light turns on on the drive but the volumes on it don't mount.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You shouldn't, but sometimes the bridge board in the enclosure is powered off the bus (USB or Firewire) regardless of whether or not the drive has its own power supply.

9. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, it's still a no go, even with a power adapter - besides, even if it did work, the universal power adapter I got blocks the USB ports for wide devices like the shuffle. :rolleyes:

So, my next step is to find a new card - any name brand recs to look for? Maybe I should look for made4mac stuff. ;)

10. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, after going back to the store and getting a new card (IOGEAR GPU202) I'm up and running - no AC adapter either. :D