USC vs Texas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chopsuey158, Jan 4, 2006.

1. chopsuey158 macrumors member

I'm sorry, but that rosebowl game was just a little surprising. I mean, come on. Texas touchdown off of a lateral? He was clearly down and they review nearly every other play. Secondly, USC clearly recovered a FUMBLE from a Texas pass. It was definitely complete, and they reviewed it!!! Maybe I'm just pissed since I was rooting for USC but honestly, anyone else think it was a little screwy?

2. chopsuey158 thread starter macrumors member

Mad props to Vince Young and LenDale White. White just had an amazing game, outstanding and powerful runner. Vince Young, incredible abilities as both a QB, fending of tackles, and especially running the ball. I tip my hat to both of these players, especially Vince Young.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Not really, you could say teh same thing for the Texas interception where his foot came down, he had the ball secured, and then he fumbled it once he slammed on the ground....

USC screwed up in the beginning of the game when they went for it on 4th and 1 (or 2), and didnt make it. Pete Carrol and that big head. And why would they let leinart go for it when White was bucking people?

4. Studawg7 macrumors regular

GREAT GAME! Good job Texas! You can analyze every single play but you have to go back to the basics. Dont grab the face mask on the last drive for texas on the fourth down and you win the game. That drive ended up being all Texas needed for the win at the end.

5. Aaon macrumors 6502

It was truly an amazing game, everything I was hoping for in a championship matchup. Fun to watch, great players, and a nailbiter of an ending. Awesome!

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Couple of missed calls: Young's knee clearly down on the touchdown. But Texas also had a clear interception which was ruled an incomplete pass. All in all, one of the best Championship games I've seen in a long, long time. Hated that Leinart did all the right things in coming back for a three-peat which didn't happen for him. But the combo of Bush, White and Leinart just wasn't enough for a Vince Young, tonight. Incredible amount of athleticism from defensive secondary to offensive and defensive lines. What a game. Congratulations to the Longhorns. After 35 years, they've finally delivered what Micro$oft still hasn't; an applaudable, public acclaimed release of excellence.

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Awesome game. Got to give a hand to Texas. Brought the championship back to the Big 12. All that talk bout USC being the best of all time, HA, wasn't even the best of 2005.

And all this talk about Young's knee. Blah Blah. Yes it was down. But if anyone watched the Nebraska vs. Michigan game, you would know that instant replay is flawed in college football. If you want something reviewed, take a timeout. USC didn't do that. Lloyd Carr had to use two of his timeouts to get calls corrected in the Alamo Bowl. USC and their big ego decided that it wasn't worth it I guess.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I take it you're a USC fan then... Bad calls happen. Remember the USC - Notre Dame game when Reggie Bush illegally pushed Leinart into the endzone to win the game? You get lucky one game and you get unlucky in another.

Regardless of the outcome, it rivals the Ohio State - Miami National championship from a few years ago as one of the most exciting.

9. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Is that illegal?

I may just be saying this as a Texas fan, but that was the best game I've ever watched. I'd also like to change the Heisman Trophy date to January instead of December.

As for the missed calls...

If they rule Young down before the lateral, I still like UT's chances of getting to the endzone with 1st and 10 on the USC 11 or 12 yard line.

The "incompletion" to Charles was ruled correctly. The ruling on the field was made in favor of Texas. In order for the ruling to be overturned there must be "indisputable" evidence. That play was as close as they come, hardly indisputable. As for me, I would say it should've been a fumble...

Everyone's already mentioned the UT INT that was not reviewed...so I won't mention that.

I think in the end, it all evened out. Matt Leinart is wrong...the best team did win!

Vince Young - 41
    USC - 38

I have four teams/individuals I follow intensely: Texas Football, Texas Baseball, Houston Astros, and Tiger Woods. Now I just need my Astros to break through and win the big one!!! (came close this year...but not enough gas in the tank to get to the moon)...

A good year for me:
    Astros make it to the World Series for the first time in franchise history.
    UT Baseball won the College World Series
    UT Football won the National Championship
    Tiger Woods won the Masters and the British finishing 2nd in the U.S. Open, 4th in the PGA, and reclaiming his no. 1 rank over Vijay and Phil.

Just thought I'd gloat...

10. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Also, I'd like to add that the postgame interview with Leinart was beyond pathetic. Reggie Bush showed such grace and class in his interview, and Leinart came off looking like a cry-baby...

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

USC had PLENTY of chances to win the game but couldn't execute. Reggie's decision to lateral in the 2nd drive of the game was mind boggling and could have cost his team the win. On the other hand, the Vince Young lateral with his knee on the ground wasn't a real big deal in my opinion. The way Texas was moving the ball, another 10 yards wouldn't have stopped them. My big complaint was that on USC's 2nd to last drive of the game (the one before Vince Young scored the game winner) on 4th and 1, Reggie Bush was not on the field. I mean, you don't have to give him the ball but the defense will have to give him respect regardless. 92,000 people knew LenDale White was going to get the ball up the middle.

12. goodwill macrumors regular

I coudn't agree more. Leinhart was pathetic with his sore loser attitude. Did you notice he was even blaming Reggie Bush for the loss? I mean c'mon, the only reason you're able to play 25 miles from home is because Reggie Bush carried you and literally pushed YOU into having the opportunity for this 3rd national title game.

Props to USC no doubt, this game could've gone either way. There were mistakes and poor decisions on both ends of the field, even with the officiating, but think about it, a year ago, they would have not even had replay as an option.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I don't remember a big game where there were so many 4th and short attempts, but I understand why they did. There were two small mistakes which went overlooked on USC's part, IMO. Their first attempt at 4th and 1, they should have kicked for a field goal. Secondly, USC seemed either confused or in a daze with their game plan(s) at a time where clear thinking was needed. They wasted their last timeout because UT went for two and took them by surprise? They should have anticipated that, but didn't. With that last timeout available, they might still have got it close enough to tie things in the last second. USC lost their poise and the national title.

14. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Did anyone else notice the play were texas went out of bounds yet the clock ran for an extra 25 seconds and they did NOTHING.

Are my buddies and I the only people in the world that saw that? Plus, the interception that wasn't reviewed totally annihilated any arguement USC fans had to be mad about the endzone lateral.

15. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Great game! Sure there were some screw-ups but every football game has them.

In reference to the Vince Young lateral when his knee was down:
    1) they couldn't review it because the machine was down (the anouncers mentioned this)
    2) they would have scored anyway.

There is just no stopping Vince Young. Last year in the Rose Bowl against Michigan he had a similarly rediculous game - and that was a 1 point game. If he has the ball at the end of a game Texas wins. Period.

- also, check out espn.com The Sports Guy Bill Simmons' running commentary of the game. High comedy. Almost as good as his diary of the NBA drafts.

16. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I agree, even though I was rooting for USC this time. Texas was rolling on that drive and probably get into the endzone even if they don't get that call. Best-case scenario is that they're held to a field goal, but that still doesn't win USC the game.

Texas slowed down Leinart and Bush just enough, played to all of Young's strengths, capitalized on all of USC mistakes (that facemask on the last drive? inexcuseable!). Most of all they took advantage of USC's porous defense, which was their biggest weakness all year. There were several games this season that they barely won on offense alone. It finally caught up with them.

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Awesome game. It was a really exciting 4th quarter, I am glad I stayed up and watched it. Great play on both sides, and Vince Young was amazing! Too bad for USC, but hey they won twice in a row before this.

18. Studawg7 macrumors regular

oh yeah my buddies and i also noticed that mistake. we couldnt believe nobody caught that

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Actually the announcers talked about it while it was happening.

20. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I was just happy USC lost so freakin' ESPN would shut their friggin pieholes. USC this, USC that, USC best team ever. No freakin way, especially when Kirk "Assclown" Herbstreit said that '05 USC could beat '95 Nebraska (Which many regard aas the best college team ever), because "Nebraska didn't have a balanced offense."

Whatever dumbtard, take your USC fanboyism and suck it. That '95 team had a Vince Young (Tommie Frazier) and 2 Reggie Bush's (Ahman Green and Lawrence Phillips).

Attached Files:

21. shazammy macrumors member

Yeah, the tv announcers mentioned that, and my friends and I were going NUTS! Thankfully it didn't matter!

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

22. shazammy macrumors member

What I really can't believe is all the news coverage saying "USC IS GOING FOR THEIR THIRD NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!"

Such blatant crap. Didn't LSU win it in 2003, USC in 2004, and UT in 2005? Am I just imagining this?

23. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

That's because sports announcers are tools. Every new team is the best ever, and it's all about the ratings. Before last night, ESPN and ABC would have you believe that USC could beat Rommel and the Afrika Korps or an army of Jedi Knights...

24. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Most people consider the 2003 title to be split because both human polls voted USC #1, even though BCS inexplicably kept them out of the title game. So in that sense, they'd won or shared the title the last two seasons and on Wednesday they were going for their third in a row.

But you're right that ESPN was OD'ing on the USC hype. They were just creating their own ABC/ESPN hype to fill all the dead air during December, when they didn't have as many live events to broadcast. Yet another time when ESPN made themselves the story instead of just covering the games. Remember the Sportscenter 25th anniversary we were assaulted with in 2005? Ye gods.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I just let the "best ever" spin, spin wherever. Both sides of the ball had an extraordinary group of great athletes and it was a great game to watch. Also for obvious reasons, I haven't watched ESPN for years. Are they still on? :)