Use a Dish Network Dish for Ku-Band

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, May 12, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

OK, This isn't at all Mac-Related, but I thought someone here might be able to help me out. Anyone know if there's a way to use a Dish Network Satellite Dish with a free Ku-Band receiver? I have an old Dish 500 dish laying around, and a Ku-Band receiver laying around, and I want to put them together to get a signal. Is this possible?

2. sandmann41 macrumors regular

what is the ku-band reciever used to pick up?

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I have accses to a Uniden CAT-100R Receiver or a Scientific Atlanta D9222 Receiver. Any way to get a signal with a Dish Network dish and one of those receivers? Just to be clear, I am not trying to pick up Dish Network, I'm trying to pick up free-to-air satellite.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

No to both

In a general sense, DISH or DiectTV cannot pick up any oher bands. The actual dih, LNB and decoder will not work., not to mention the satellits for satTV are in the wrong space for the older style sat tv. Conversly, the older and larger dishes are not only ill-equipped to pick up and decode the signals but they aim at the wrong part of the sky.

Basically, SatTV like DISH and DTV are line of sight to special satellites in geosynchronus orbit. Even the two services - owned by the same company - they can use the same Dish and LNB to receive but need different hardware to decode each stream. Its a neat technology, but the old style and new style are very different and not in any way able to work nicely together.