Use a iPhone 4 without SIM card as a iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by battlekid, Oct 4, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

I'm rather disappointed with Apple's non-update of the iPod Touches, so I am wondering if it would be possible to buy a iPhone 4 off of ebay and use it without a SIM card as a iPod Touch.

Now I noticed this support document on Apple's site, but it appears to be for factory-unlocked models only.

Here's two example ebay listings that I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...Cell_Phones&hash=item27beb5251d#ht_1539wt_732

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...=Cell_Phones&hash=item35b5b2b7fc#ht_500wt_981

So, there seem to be two dominant options. Unlocked via "Gevey Sim", and (what I believe to be) locked versions.

Could someone explain if/how I could use one or the other without a SIM or contract at all. Ideally a method that would allow upgrading to iOS 5 if I wanted ;).

I have no desire to use the cell radio/3G functions at all. I just want to use it as a nicer iPod Touch alternative, since I'm tired of the bad camera on my 4G Touch. Is this possible?

Ugh, I have no clue if I communicated what I want well enough, well, if anyone has any questions or help then please reply! Thanks!

Tl;Dr: Want to buy iPhone 4, use it as a iPod Touch replacment. Just need to know if/how to activate/unlock it for use without cell contract or SIM card. Google isn't helping much.

2. macrumors 603

rgarjr

It will work exactly as an iPod touch if u remove the SIM card. What u do need to get however is an ATT sim card from eBay (cost 4 bucks) so that u can activate it (itunes) whenever u do firmware updates.

Or if u are a jailbreaker hacktivate and then u dont need an official SIM, but option 1 is better.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much!

Just to be sure, is there anyone else who can verify this before I buy one?

4. macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you search the forums, you'll find all the confirmation you need.

5. cdt
    macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm considering the same thing. I have an ipod 3g and am looking for a camera. The ipod touch 4g camera isn't good enough for my needs. Does anyone know if this would work with a verizon iphone4? Or is an AT&T iphone with a at&t sim the only way?

Thanks,
    -Colin

6. macrumors 6502a

EmbraceTheOne

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an iPod?

Just asking.

7. cdt
    macrumors newbie

Cheaper, yes, but also pointless. I already have an ipod touch 3 that I'm looking to upgrade with a camera. The ipod 4 camera is not good enough for my needs, so buying it would be a waste. I'm either going to get an iphone4 to use as an ipod or just stick with my current ipod touch until they release an ipod with a decent camera.

8. macrumors 68040

eastercat

Does the verizon phone have a sim slot? :rolleyes:
    You need a sim slot. If it doesn't have a sim slot, it won't work.

9. macrumors member

Will it work if you buy a 4S on Ebay with contract and don't use it for calling at all?

I'm from Mexico, is this a good idea to have the 4S without paying a contract?

10. macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't get a factory unlocked phone, you'd have to make sure you have the sim the phone is locked to.
    For you, it's better to buy a factory unlocked phone.