use airport express AND another wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mojohojo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

i ordered an airport express a few days ago and just thought of something which could be a problem.

is it possible to connect to both an airport express and another wireless router at same time?

i plan to use the internet via my existing wireless router and also use the airport express wirelessly for airtunes connected to my speakers or printer service.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. You can only be connected to one access point at a time.

3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Actually it is possible. I am currently connected to my good ol' Netgear wireless router and just recently connected an Airport Express that I have hooked up to my lil Bose speakers. It was kind of a pain to set up at first for me, but it shouldnt be too much of a hassle for ya. :)

But now I'm up and running great.

edit: robbie is right that you can't connect to two access points for internet, though. that just wouldnt make much sense.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

interlaced: can you give more details on your setup? Can you access the internet wirelessly whilst streaming music to the other AP wirelessly? Or do you have a wired connection from the Internet connected AP to the Airport Express?

5. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I have a wireless connection to my Netgear router and the Airport Express connected to my speakers. When I set up the Airport Express, it gave me the option to join an existing wireless network (my Netgear) so it's not two separate network connections. I guess it's acting like an extension?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, I think it's called Client Mode. Rather than the Airport Express being a router it actually acts as a client on the existing network, hence your computer can communicate with it.

7. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

There you go. swiftaw, that's exactly how it is.

8. mojohojo thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i think i got it working. Just followed the instructions and added the airport to my existing network.

i think its connected how i want it to. tested it out by turning off my airport express and my internet still works (connected to router) but speakers not anymore.

off-topic: is it alright to turn on/off your airport express daily? or recommend to leave it on all the time?