Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Makes sense. iBackUpBot was saying the design capacity was 1690 mAh. I guess it was accurate. Back when I got my 6s, it was saying my battery capacity was 1700 mAh. Goes perfectly with your saying :)

But, right now, Coconut Battery is reporting my phone's battery capacity as 1515 mAh. Battery life still reports it as 1600 mAh

Your battery current capacity can always be higher than the design capacity. Battery capacity isn't a science. One battery made at the same time with another battery could have a completely different capacity. Its just how the chemicals bond with one another. My 7 Plus has a design capacity of 2900mAh, but currently its total capacity is 2999mAh.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
True, but I think my phone's capacity was close to 1690 mAh and iBackUpBot just rounded it off like you said.

Whoa. How's the battery life on your 7 Plus? :)

youinc

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2016
If you have time, go to Genius Bar, the genius will do a test of your battery. I think that result is more accurate, besides worries, what else we can get by checking the battery health status?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Whoa. How's the battery life on your 7 Plus? :)

Its not bad. Hasn't really settled in yet as I'm still using it more than my 6s. Once the novelty dies down, I will be able to really test it.

Also, I will note. Battery capacity can change 1000 times a day, and thats no an exaggeration. Any time the battery is under load, being charged, increases in temperature, decreases in temperature all effects the battery capacity. Its typically to be a 5-10% range in a given day. So you are saying its reporting 1515mAh. I would expect to see 1475-1560mAh in a given day.
[doublepost=1474384363][/doublepost]
If you have time, go to Genius Bar, the genius will do a test of your battery. I think that result is more accurate, besides worries, what else we can get by checking the battery health status?

The genius bar result is identical to CocnutBattery except with one key difference. The genus bar test looks at the average capacity for the last 2 weeks and spits out a number, Coconut battery is real time. That is why there is so much fluctuation with Coconut and those types of apps.

Apple claims these apps are accurate, thats why they removed the ability for them to work, but in reality they are just as accurate, if not more because the real time capacity versus the 2 week average. In the course of two weeks, a battery could entirely fail, yet their test wouldn't show that because of the time frame its looking at.

Reactions: Nisaja

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Its not bad. Hasn't really settled in yet as I'm still using it more than my 6s. Once the novelty dies down, I will be able to really test it.

Also, I will note. Battery capacity can change 1000 times a day, and thats no an exaggeration. Any time the battery is under load, being charged, increases in temperature, decreases in temperature all effects the battery capacity. Its typically to be a 5-10% range in a given day. So you are saying its reporting 1515mAh. I would expect to see 1475-1560mAh in a given day.
Agreed. I've noticed this when checking it. It's always slightly less or slightly more. See, this is what made me think Battery Life and iBackUpBot weren't accurate. Never knew they rounded it off.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Agreed. I've noticed this when checking it. It's always slightly less or slightly more. See, this is what made me think Battery Life and iBackUpBot weren't accurate. Never knew they rounded it off.

I'm just guessing but I think the reason why they are now rounded is because they don't supply real time charging information. Coconut does. Battery Life use to, and wasn't rounded off. iBackupBot has always been rounded off and has never given real-time charging stats.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
IBackUpBot was giving spot on readings back then. I remember back in 2013 it was pretty accurate. I used to check my iPhone 5's battery often, so I remember lol.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
IBackUpBot was giving spot on readings back then. I remember back in 2013 it was pretty accurate. I used to check my iPhone 5's battery often, so I remember lol.

But back in 2013 there wasn't much to compare it to. It was the only one. I used it then too, but I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy as there was no way to compare.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
True. There were a few jb apps though. They were accurate. I'm saying iBackUpBot was accurate because back then they didn't round it off to 100s.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Apple claims these apps are accurate, thats why they removed the ability for them to work, but in reality they are just as accurate, if not more because the real time capacity versus the 2 week average.

So then how come Coconut Battery works?

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
i have nearly 1000 cycles on my iPhone 6 and these apps always say I have between 92-97% true capacity left... i really dont see how that can be possible?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
i have nearly 1000 cycles on my iPhone 6 and these apps always say I have between 92-97% true capacity left... i really dont see how that can be possible?

Depends on how well you take care of the battery. Battery capacity isn't a science. There are thousands of variables that can effect the health capacity, even how it was manufactured. Thats why they are rated to retain 80% @500 cycles. Thats just a baseline rating. My 2012 MBA has a 80% @500 cycle battery. I'm at 4 years later, I'm at 975 cycles and 87% health remaining.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Depends on how well you take care of the battery. Battery capacity isn't a science. There are thousands of variables that can effect the health capacity, even how it was manufactured. Thats why they are rated to retain 80% @500 cycles. Thats just a baseline rating. My 2012 MBA has a 80% @500 cycle battery. I'm at 4 years later, I'm at 975 cycles and 87% health remaining.

interesting. i charge my 6 multiple times a day, don't let it hit below 10% too often. Almost never out in extreme temps for long periods of time with it being used. Guess that all helps! However, the battery life is still atrocious but that's to be expected from this model I suppose lol

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Test it with Coconut Battery on the Mac. It gives a more accurate reading than the battery life app.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Get iBackUpBot. It shows your battery's charge cycles too.

EDIT - whoops just saw you already checked that. What app did you use?

havent used ibackupbot since having iOS 10 but didnt others say that no longer gives accurate info? I've tried battery life app and battery app. first is the green icon, second is the orange. both used to show everything until Apple took it away with iOS 10.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
thats one of the battery apps i have and with iOS 10 it no longer shows anything but the battery percentage, charging or not charging, and supposedly the true capacity which is incorrect since iOS 10. Arbitrarily sticks to 1700/1751 mAh now.
Yeah that's the thing. It rounds off your battery's capacity to 100s. Check it with Coconut Battery on a Mac. That'll show the capacity accurately. Do it on a Mac at the Apple Store haha.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
For what it's worth: Apple says my current battery's health is 89% of its manufactured capacity (Genius Bar test), and CoconutBattery says my battery's health is at 78%. Shrug.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
For what it's worth: Apple says my current battery's health is 89% of its manufactured capacity (Genius Bar test), and CoconutBattery says my battery's health is at 78%. Shrug.

Coconut is more accurate than Apple because it gives real time data. Apple's diagnostics give the averages of a 2 week period. A battery can fail within 2 weeks, but their diagnostic wouldn't pick it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.