Use computer's internet connection on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eric8199, May 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

I recently got an iPad, and I want to be able to use it at work, for work. My problem is, AT&T service sucks here, so I bought the WiFi model, but we don't have WiFi at work — the boss won't allow it.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use, which I connect through ethernet. But I can't create an adhoc wifi network with it, because I'll get in trouble.

Is there a way to pair the iPad with the Mac through bluetooth, or another way, so that I can use the Mac's internet connection, but not create a network that anyone passing by our building can connect to?

I know you can password protect a wifi network, but I can't convince my boss it's secure enough to allow me to use it.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 601

brand

What about setting up a wireless network in the DMZ or a different VLAN?

3. macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

You can share your macbook pro's internet connection via bluetooth, but I'm not sure if that's something the iPad will be able to utilize. Find that setting in your network preferences.

4. macrumors 601

brand

Another option would be to get something like the Verizon MiFi that is assuming that Verizon has better service than AT&T.

5. macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Even that would be broadcasting a wireless network, which apparently his boss will not allow.

6. macrumors 6502

im no expert, but you should be able to hide the broadcast name..... how would your boss ever know if it cant see it? :cool:

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

How would I hide the broadcast name? Because that would do the trick. His daughter has an iPod touch. I had the wifi set up with a name like testing and she spotted it. I'm assuming he'd never figure out it was coming from my desk, but I want to be sure.

8. dav
    macrumors 6502

Any sort of stumbler program can detect those networks AFAIK

9. macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

True, but do you think his boss would be using a program like that? :D

10. macrumors member

AFAIK, if you can't use wifi or 3G for internet, then clearly the iPad is nto for you.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad works fine at home on my wifi network. Have wifi everywhere but work. But at work, it would be handy to be able to use there too. If i can't do it, it's no biggie. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an option.

12. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Supposedly, his boss doesn't want a wireless network for security purposes.

A MiFi wouldn't violate that- it wouldn't touch his company's network.

13. macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Oh I see what you're saying. If it's just company security that he's concerned with then you're right, a Mi-Fi would do the trick.

14. macrumors 6502a

al256

I have a solution

Okay, since cost was never mentioned as a restriction this is one way to get internet.

Step 1.
    Sell your iPad Wifi and/or buy a iPad 3G + Wifi.

Step 2.
    Purchase a cellular router. After googling for a minute, I found the CradlePoint CBA750 Mobile Broadband Adapter. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

[​IMG]

Step 3.
    Purchase a USB mobile broadband card from whatever carrier offers the best reception at your work plus pay the monthly bill.

[​IMG]

Step 4.
    Purchase the AT&T 3G MicroCell™. If it's not available in your area, I saw one on eBay.

[​IMG]

Step 5.
    Figure out a way to power these two devices and also allow the MicroCell™ to receive its GPS coordinate fix. Don't forget a small ethernet cable either...

[​IMG]

Step 6.
    Setup your new 3G iPad and purchase the data plan. Setup the MicroCell and connect your iPad.

[​IMG]

Now, enjoy your WiFi-free internet surfing from the office.