Use console as a computer?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Caezar, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

I see that the PS3 can be used as a computer running Linux. Will the Wii and Xbox360 have this functionality as well?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The 360 most likely will not, although it's been rumored/speculated that at some point Microsoft may build web and e-mail access into it.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The wii OS is supposedly already Linux based. There is also a site that's working on one. Type "wii linux" into google and you might find it.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd bet the Wii won't.(atleast supported from Nintendo) 360 might have support from MS But who really knows?!

Not me:)

(I'm sure all of them will have a hacked one made just for them, just like xBox, PS2 and NGC all did)

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Officially, no. Nintendo is unlikely to support homebrew-type stuff, and Microsoft will have nothing to do with Linux (and Windows would be a pain to port to PowerPC + would be unable to run any regular Windows applications without emulating an x86 processor and we all know how much it sucks at that).

However, Nintendo is adding PC-like functionality to the Wii all the time. It already has email, photo editing, and according to some user reports the ability to transfer pictures from a bluetooth phone. A web browser and news feed and weather feed are coming soon. And it's got a mouse-like pointer.

Where'd you hear this?

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually the NT kernel was initially developed to get used on many different architectures including PowerPC,MIPS and Alpha processors

they stopped selling those versions though but i guess they didn't throw the sources away
    and 90% of the kernel is platform independent anyway

after all the 360 OS is running on a modified windows kernel

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

also, remember a console may sound powerful, but these specs are geared towards one thing, gaming and fps, not always best for other computing tasks, for example they dont have much ram memory.