Use Gmail account as internet disk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cfg5, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Cfg5 macrumors regular

Heres an app that lets you use your gmail account as an idisk spiel. Better than that one applescript thing.

link

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Gmail things always scare me. I don't want them stealing my password or anything. I really want to try it though. Anyone use it yet?

3. Cfg5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have. If you're worried about people stealing your password and reading your email, just create a new gmail account that's dedicated for gdisk.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The simple solutions are always the best. Good idea.

5. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

This is definitely better than that of apple script thing. Thanks Cfg5 for sharing!

6. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

People on Digg are warning that Google will shut down your account for using an app like this. Is there any truth to this? I don't understand how Google would find out.

I suppose making a new account would also solve that problem at least partially, though

7. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I just tried this app, but it crashes every time I try to upload a file. Pretty useless.

Attached Files:

8. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Rumor has it that Gmail Drive which allows Windows users to use a GMail account for online storage is no longer functioning. It appears that Google has clamped down on this highly functional program. The possibility may happen to gDisk too but I doubt Google will cancel your Gmail account.

Enjoy it while it lasts; afterall whatever goes into your Gmail will never be lost. :)

9. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

i've got the same problem, but only with big files, like 20 mb. smaller files are no problemo.

so thanks for the link Cfg5!

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If I Remember Correctly...

The attachment limit on Gmail is 10MB. The program has two choices: break a large file up into small pieces and upload them, or just limit you to whatever Gmail limits you to. Gmail apparently has a 'real' limit of ~15 MB per file.

Still neat.

11. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Do you mean the program can break up the file, or do you need to do it yourself? And if so, how do you break up a file in pieces?

thanx

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The program should, but doesn't.

You can use Stuffit to compress a file into multiple pieces of a user-defined size. Then upload them well. When you download them all later, tell Stuffit to decompress the 1st piece and it will unstuff the rest (assuming the rest of the pieces are in the same directory as the 1st piece). Works with SIT and SITX I think... not sure about ZIP.

13. InfiniteLoop1 macrumors member

InfiniteLoop1

thats awesome thats Cfg5, ive been looking for an app that does that for Mac for ages! set it up and it works great! One question, how can i access my stuff on a PC or a Mac without downloading gDisk?

14. Bear macrumors G3

I still think that using a mail account as online storage is a rather stupid idea.

And remember .mac now has a 1 GB disk limit - so while it's not free, it is inexpensive and it is designed for use as an online disk.

Just don't store anything you don't have backed up on GMail. Also, remember 1GB fits on 2 CD-Rs and you can fit over 4 times that on a DVD-R. (Or use -RW media to be able to reuse the optical media.)

15. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Log in to your Gmail account. :) Your stuffs are stored and sorted categorically by pre-defined labels.

16. meathane macrumors member

meathane

17. InfiniteLoop1 macrumors member

InfiniteLoop1

Genius... :D

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What happens? What were you doing? What size file did you try to upload?