Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvzyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Langebaan, South Africa
I'm sorry if this question has been answered in some way already. I am a total newbie when it comes to the Apple TV and I'm wondering if it isn't better to get the bottom of the range Mac mini rather than the ATV. I feel that the mini can do additional stuff like do encoding with Visual Hub during the night rather than doing it on my MBP.

What will I loose if I choose the mini rather than the ATV? Which functionality does the ATV have that the mini doesn't? Am I just uninformed or is the ATV just a "stripped down mini" running Front Row?

Thanks for your replies.

Cobus

flinstone

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Amsterdam
I Think the only thing you can't do with the mini is youTube via the Front-row app. And hdcp, component and hdmi of course

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The mini is great as a media center machine. I actually an old G4 Mini ($400) and bought a remote for it and stuck Front Row on it. Works great for downloading media, music, pictures, or playing DVD's. An Intel Mini would be much faster for ripping video too. I configure everything through my iBook via VLC and FTP so I never have to use a keyboard/mouse in the living room.

Yes, it doesn't have HDMI, but pretty sure it has N-wireless (and if not you get G which is by no means slow). Though it does have DVI output or S-video if you get the connector.

TheQuestion

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Location is relative, no?

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
The mini also has a DVD Player/Burner, Firewire connection and can be used for editing some home movies.

The hard drive in the low end Mini is larger than the low end ATV but only half the size of the top end ATV.

So, you are looking at $599 vs. $299 or $399.

Personally, I like your idea. If price is not a factor that's what I would do.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am a total newbie when it comes to the Apple TV and I'm wondering if it isn't better to get the bottom of the range Mac mini rather than the ATV. I feel that the mini can do additional stuff like do encoding with Visual Hub during the night rather than doing it on my MBP.

The largest advantage of the :apple:tv is it's simplicity. It does not do everything, but what it does it does well and with no real fuss. This makes it appealing to people with little to no experience with - or a desire to own - a computer.

The Mac Mini can do much, much more thanks to being a "real" computer. But it adds complexity because you have to know how to use a computer.

As someone who is very comfortable with computers and being the only user, I really think I am going to go with the Mac Mini.

But if I was buying for my parents? :apple:tv. No contest.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The mini is great as a media center machine. I actually an old G4 Mini ($400) and bought a remote for it and stuck Front Row on it. Works great for downloading media, music, pictures, or playing DVD's. An Intel Mini would be much faster for ripping video too. I configure everything through my iBook via VLC and FTP so I never have to use a keyboard/mouse in the living room.

Yes, it doesn't have HDMI, but pretty sure it has N-wireless (and if not you get G which is by no means slow). Though it does have DVI output or S-video if you get the connector.

You can get the IR receiver that works with the Apple Remote here:

http://twistedmelon.com/mira/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.