use iPad as live camera display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rweakins, Nov 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

rweakins

Is there a way to use an iPad as a live camera display? I have a Canon 7D and was curious whether or not there was a way to connect my iPad to use as a video monitor while shooting video or not.

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I don't think the iPad supports Video-In does it? So, the only way to use it as a display is wirelessly using an App on the iPad (like MaxiVista). Sounds like it'd be pretty messy to do what you're suggesting - it'd probably have to be driven through another computer which defeats the point?

3. macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if it works for video, but there is a pretty slick setup to use an iPad as a remote display for digital cameras. You need an Eye-Fi card in your camera, and the Shutter Snitch app on the iPad.

Here's a video which demonstrates the setup: http://vimeo.com/16249536

I think Lee posted a thread about this on MacRumors a while ago, but I can't find that thread right now.

4. Corsair.Noir, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

macrumors member

Corsair.Noir

I had a thread asking the same question... I'm planning to get the 60D and would love to set something like this up for doing video:

[​IMG]

that wifi set up for stills sounds really great... other than having to jailbreak your iPad and buy two additional apps. This is also the first time I've heard of a wifi sd card... pretty cool:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...FI_8PC_8GB_Pro_X2_SDHC.html/BI/6857/KBID/7410

EDIT:
    I just read (fstoppers.com/iPad/)that if you're connecting through a wireless router you don't need to jailbreak it and you can also use the cheaper wifi sd card:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683276-REG/Eye_Fi_EYE_FI_4CN_4GB_Connect_X2_SDHC.html

5. macrumors 65816

Tom G.

You might look at the apps "Camera A" and "Camera B". I realize that these use an iPhone for the camera but it does shoot video.

Also have you experimented with using the "Camera Kit"?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

The 7D takes CF so the eye fi option is kind of not really an option

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 6502a

I looked at the reviews for that adapter and it looks like the Eye-Fi worked for some folks, but not for others. Here's another adapter which is designed to work with the Eye-Fi:

www.synchrotech.com/products/media-adapters-compactflash_eye-fi_sdhc_mmc-01.html

However, it sounds like even that adapter is only "guaranteed" to work with older Eye-Fi cards. Bummer...

9. macrumors member

any updates on this? anything new out that will work? perhaps through bluetooth or something?