Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
is there any way for me to use my iphone as an external hard drive / flash drive so i can transfer files from my work computer to my mac at home?

i should mention i have no internet access at home at the moment, which is why i dont just use dropbox or something else like that... i'll need a way to transfer files from my work PC to my Mac at home by plugging the device in as a hard drive.

possible?

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Only if you jailbreak it. Apple doesn't provide access to the iPod/iPhone file system.
USB thumb drives are cheap - do that.

yeah its probably my best bet. and i can use them between Windows and Mac easily with no problem?

PCs at work are Windows, Mac at home

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Do you have iTunes on both computers? Then you can use USB Disk app from the ap store it's free. Install it connect your iPhone to iTunes using cable or wifi, click under the apps tab under the iPhone section. Scroll down click on the USB disk abb there can you drop files and copy them back to your computer.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
but do they require internet connection? wifi?

From what I remember, no. I'll do some digging around tomorrow. You might try some generic app store searches for thumb drive or external drive or files. Don't ignore the ones that brag about wireless because they also may use USB.

What the heck, it's not quite bedtime... I searched on "storage" and came up with:

USB Flash Drive Pro for iPhone
iFlashDrive Free

There's more out there but now it's bedtime so...

Last edited:

brice00

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
several apps that do what you're looking to do without internet access

Hey, there are a bunch of apps out there that will allow you to do this over itunes. I just downloaded Phone Drive, which allows for all sorts of media to be moved from computer to phone to another computer. I've done the same with a PDF reader and Word docs as well. But if you search for "file sharing" in the store, you'll see several that allow this.

Then... In iTunes, plug your phone into your computer, click on your phone to the left, then go to the "APPS" page. Scroll to the bottom to "File Sharing" and click on your new app. For me, Phone Drive. Then hit "ADD" and you'll be able to add any kind of file you want.

Hope this helps.

Brice

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Apple likes to restrict users, so you will have to jailbreak it to do this.

hnma

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
U are officially the last person without Internet access at home. Lol

You are officially the most ignorant person on this forum so far.

What you are saying would be true for those who have never left their town. Get out of your shell and see the actual world not the virtual one.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
If you have iTunes on both then you can drag and drop to apps that support it. Goodreader is a great one and I believe the new "Files" app supports this also.

There are a few options. If you want a USB like utility on your iPhone then you'll need to jailbreak and install iFile.

The first option is much easier and simpler to use though. IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.