Use iTunes with other mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andypress, Jan 26, 2006.

1. andypress macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying a new/used mp3 player to replace my 2nd gen ipod who's hard drive died. Think of it as a interm player before I buy a Gen 5 iPod. Anyways, I was thinking of buying an olympus player. Does iTunes for os x support any player, and if it doesnt are there any hacks/apps/plug ins for them?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As far as I can tell, iTunes only supports iPods.

3. guifa macrumors 6502

There once was a time when it did support other players (as well as iTunes). But I don't know if that support remains.

4. The Reg macrumors newbie

Well... I can't speak for every brand, but I purchased a Rio Sport 128 mb MP3 player in 2003 that was not only supported in iTunes, but it came with both an iTunes disc and Real Player install disc. I still have it and it still works in itunes. (Although it uses slow USB 1.1)
    I would suggest checking with the manufacturer's website before purchasing. :)

5. Sushi7 macrumors newbie

Sushi7

Well, I have seen people that are using itunes with other MP3 players, and IT WORKS PERFECTLY fine.. I hope if you buy it, that it will work for you as well..:)

Sushi7

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I think it works fine with most "Creative" MP3 players, but dont quote me on this....check the website and contact the manufacturer to make sure...

SHadoW

7. Jimmery macrumors member

8. Batman Sucks macrumors newbie

Batman Sucks

What about the Nano?

From the looks of it it may be a better price to get the 2gb Nano for 199.00 than pay that for the Sony 1gb.

9. Jimmery macrumors member

You have a point, but even thought the Nano is small, it's too big for me. Keeping a cell phone, keys, wallet in my pockets is enough. To add a Nano (with a case for its protection) would be a pain, but the size of the Shuffle (or the Sony USB player) is doable. I find holsters for electronics (a possible solution) pretty tacky...:cool:

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I have a Rio 500 (one of the original flash-based players) that works wonderfully with iTunes on a Mac.

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Why not try something like www.ipodshop.ca ?

They may be able to fix your issue cheaper than getting a new player. I've used them and they're great.

They handle stuff from all over the world. I know there are other repair centres online that will do this stuff too.

12. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

I believe that most mp3 players are compatible with iTunes, as long as they support MP3, they'll probably work. If not, well, that sucks for you.

13. Burchman macrumors newbie

Definitive Answer

Hey guy's I just looked it up in the i-tunes help menu and it showed me a list on this thread of compatible 3rd party Mp3 players. Hope this helps please note I have a Mac so I don't know if the windows version differs in terms of compatibility. Lates:D

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548