use Mail app from within company???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mass Hysteria, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Mass Hysteria macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to send and receive mail using the mail app from within a big company / organisation. At the moment, I can access my emails via safari but I just wondered is there a way to bypass the companies mail blocking.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well first of all, you need to know a couple of things. First thing is, does your company use a pop, or IMAP mailbox? What are the mail settings (incoming and outgoing mailbox settings)? What is your username and password?

Mail can be used for pop, imap, and exchange servers. Its just a matter of figuring out which one your company uses. Then you'll need to find out what the mail settings are. (ie. mail.companyname.com, or smtp.companyname.com)

3. belvdr macrumors 601

I think the person is talking about using POP/IMAP on an existing external account. Concerning that, if they are blocking the port at the firewall, you're stuck.

4. enckwanzer macrumors member

FYI, I've had good luck with sending mail through Gmail on networks that are blocking port 25. Gmail uses a wacky, but effective port for sending messages. It hasn't failed me yet! And an added bonus: when you use mail.app to send messages using Gmail's outgoing mail server, a copy of the sent message is saved in the Gmail account online, which means an instant backup of received *and* sent messages. If you need an invite, PM me.