Use MBP Internet Connection at home from work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fh2level, Sep 11, 2006.

1. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

I dont know how to title this or what to call this but at work the IT department has some websites blocked. Now trust me I don't want to do anything that I shouldn't be but the websites they have blocked sometimes seem at random. Like macrumors I can get on but techeblog.com I can not. Google I can get to and sign into my custom homepage but when I click to read my gmail it wont' let me.

My question: is there any way to leave my MBP connected to the internet at home and then connect to it from my computer at work to use my home internet? if that makes sense. I read somewhere were you can do something similar with XP.

Josh

2. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Apple Remote Desktop might work dont know though
    one page it says any computer on your network
    and this page it says any computer on the internet under VNC top right link below
    hopefully its both i would like to use it when i get my dad his first mac so i can help him from 20 miles away
    if i can remember its pretty pricy though

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/remoteassistance.html

3. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Give Ol' Apple a call and find out for everyone
    let us know the verdict

4. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Well you got me real curious on this one so i called apple and they said yes you can do what you are wanting to do with remote desktop
    there are some things that need to be covered
    you need to have a dynamic ip address not a static one like DSL meaning you have to have an ip that remains constant
    the computer must not be behind firewall or router But if it is
    i asked him about a Airport extreme Base station like i have he said you would have to open up certain ports to allow this they will walk you through it on phone
    your computer wont be open to other people he said since you would be required to enter a password
    and he said you coud open up webpages on the other computer and view them on yours because you would be Controlling that desktop remotely
    he said it was as if you were using that computer from yours

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You got that the wrong way around and thats not true anyway. You SHOULD have a static ones those are the ones that don't change. However its not a problem if you have a dynamic IP as you can set up a free domain name something like mydomain.no-ip.com and then run a small program on your computer that will update no-ips servers when your IP changes then you just punch in mydomain.no-ip.com and it will connect every time. Also firewalls are not a problem as all firewalls can have ports opened. You don't need to use apples remote desktop to do this either.

You may also be able to get around it using a proxy but that is easy to see that your doing that.