Use my 12" PB as G4 Cube display?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BurtonCCC, Dec 31, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm looking to buy a G4 Cube, but I don't want to buy one of the old thin Apple flat panel monitors, because I'm only a college student, so I was wondering if I could use my PowerBook as a display for the Cube. What connection does the G4 Cube use for the display?

Daniel.

2. macrumors 68020

If it's the original video card, it will have standard VGA and the weirdo ADC connectors.

I don't think there's any way to use your powerbook as a monitor.

3. macrumors 68030

homerjward

why do you want a cube? your powerbook is probably much more powerful, even if it's an 867mhz model.

4. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

because cubes are the coolest macs ever.

5. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is no practical way to move the signal into the Powerbook.

Impractical ways include using some variation of VNC program, or going through a VGA to video digitizing to Firewire setup externally, but results will almost certainly be unacceptably slow and poor quality.

6. macrumors 6502

Become Steve Wozniak and make your own LCD controller circuits for the powerbooks LCD :p I think that's about all you can do.

7. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

SIGNED! I don't use my cube very often anymore, its main purpose is to just look cool on my desk, which it fulfills extremely well.

8. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Well isnt there a Firewire to DVI/ADC connector somewhere? What condition is your Cube in? I'm actually looking for one!

Either that or an iBook G4 with DVDROM/CDRW. nothing fancy just small for fun.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I want a cube simply for holding all my music and backing up my DVDs. Problem is, the hard drives are usually no more that 20GB, so I'd have to stick a big fat hard drive in there.

As for where you get them, they're all over eBay and most of them are left over from graphic design companies, so they all have been upgraded to around 1GB of RAM.

Daniel.

10. macrumors 6502

I think everyone should have a cube.... Now someone make me a proud owner!

Maybe this is something for MWSF '06?? Possibly a ViiV Cube? Yeah, you heard it here first. My mom told me it was the best idea ever. Yep, not even a Tuesday, but it's time for change.

11. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i thought the cube was discontinued/recalled because it could overheat.... :confused:

12. macrumors regular

if you just need it to store music and stuff, cant you somehow mount it as hard drive somehow via firewire?

13. macrumors newbie

Or, buy a nice cheap IcyBox enclosure and a fat 250 drive. :rolleyes:

14. macrumors G4

Mord

ADC->DVI adapters are cheap, i'd just buy a cheap HDTV and hook the cube up to it, bam coolest media center type thing ever.

15. macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

It was discontinued(a.k.a. put on ice) because it was expensive, not too expandable, and not too many people bought it., or something close to that. I don't think there was a recall because of overheating, was there?

16. macrumors G4

Mord

no overheating issues, some are caused by some upgrades but otherwise the cube is good, the BTO radeon did tend to die after a while due to fan failure.

people did not buy the cube because of it's lack of pci slots, people think they will use them but they never do.