Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Hey!

What I wanted to know: I have a Samsung X10 14" laptop (Windows) in my room. I am not using it, so I was wondering if it would be somehow possible to use my laptops display as a second display for my powerbook with some software.

I hope you could understand my question.

Thx in advance for the replies.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Thx,

But is there something else more user friendly?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Not unless you're willing to shell out cash for a TV adapter for the Windows laptops and settle for low-res grainy display on it (via the Powerbook's S-Video output).

You're wanting to inject something into a closed system that was never intended to be used in the way that you want to use it. It's not supposed to be easy.

Granted -- I'd love to see the next wave of Powerbooks feature an A/V input (so I could use my Gamecube or DVD Player w/ the LCD and speakers), but it's so far down on my list of requirements that it's almost a non-issue.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I'm not sure that is what you need. SDE3k sounds alot like VNC. Each computer is still using their own display.

What you want is a program like Maxivista http://www.maxivista.com/. Unfortunately I have not found a program like this for Mac.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
heaven said:
Does anyone know something like this cross platform?
The closest I think you're going to get is what I pointed you to earlier. The technical complications of doing this between Windows and OS X seem too numerous to be worthwhile.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
Wire it?

Id imagine you could probably open it up and jury rig the display to a VGA cable to. I imagine it would be hard to do but technally possible. Would ruin ur pc laptop.

Huked on Fonick

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
1 Loop
ChrisBrightwell said:
Depends on how nimble you are with the soldering iron. ;)

Cant soder to plastic ribbions(which is what the display is probably connected to the Gcard/mobo with). Would have to very carefully tape it somehow....id be real tuff. But i dont see why it couldent be done.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Huked on Fonick said:
Cant soder to plastic ribbions(which is what the display is probably connected to the Gcard/mobo with). Would have to very carefully tape it somehow....id be real tuff. But i dont see why it couldent be done.
Trace the pins that the ribbon connects to. Solder there.

It can be done. I've done it. But it's not easy.

And no, I don't have pictures. It was a project for a friend's laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.