Use of Intel Mac as Primary Windows box as well?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rking, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Rking macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    I'm seriously thinking about buying a 15" MBP in the next few weeks. However, I was wondering if anyone has been using one of the Intel Macs with Bootcamp as their PRIMARY Windows box as well?

Ideally I'd like to do all my design work on OSX, but do all my web development work on Windows XP Pro (which, frankly, comprises about 80% of my time). Is this a prudent thing to do? I'm hearing mixed reviews about the stability of Bootcamp.

I was thinking of hooking up the MBP to my larger flat screen monitor when at home, but would love the versatility of the laptop when traveling. I just love these darn Mac Book Pros, it's clouding my judgment. But the heat and noise issues, and lack of USB ports also makes me hesitate though.

Anyone else in the same boat? Is it really possible to have the best of both worlds?

2. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
    I use my macbook as my primary windows box. I have no issues, and It works perfectly with my external 24 inch lcd. Plays games, runs all my software.

no complaints, nothing else to be desired
  3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2005
    Yes it is really possible to have the best of both worlds. I've been using my MBP as my primary Windows machine as well. No issues.
  4. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I use my MB much the same as you suggest. It works effortlessly and is a blast to have the best of both worlds.
  5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    though i RARELY use it... and since there's not a PC in my house and the ones at work aren't used for anything but running a sales cache' termial... my 17" MBP is my primary Windows "box" as well.
  6. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    It's perfectly possible to use it as a primary windows box.

However, it's a lot more comfortable to have two machines, so you don't have to reboot all the time. Trust me.
  7. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

Apr 2, 2006
    Telford, UK
    I haven't powered on any of my Windows boxes since I got my MBP about 3 months ago (and am in the process of selling them). I've gone one step further though and don't use Bootcamp but Parallels. I use Win2K3 under Parallels to do heavyweight windows development and it's absolutely superb.
    Personally speaking, I've not had any heat or noise issues and the lack of USB ports is easily fixed with a portable USB hub
  8. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    I plan to do that as well but only when Boot Camp becomes an official release.

Feels dodgy to rely on a beta piece of software.
  9. Rking thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Great feedback everyone. It's very encouraging, and what I was hoping for. I didn't even think about the USB hub..
  10. climhazzard85 macrumors member

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes and no, isn't Gmail still in beta? ;)
  11. plarusa macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    I have been running Windows in a Parallel Virtual Machine for Windows software development. No need to reboot nothing. This setup works so well that the MBP is now my only machine.
  12. macaddicted macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Down on Copperline...
    I've been using Boot Camp to run some embroidery design software I purchased for my business. I have been really happy with it since the software requires a usb dongle to run. Not a single hiccup.

I would like to dump my two systems (iMac Intel & Lenovo laptop) and run just one. I too am going to wait for the new Merom laptops and OS X 10.5 before I make a final decision. I might try Parallels in the interim.