Use of "The following preview has been approved..." screen?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Nov 6, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2004
    Cadillac, MI
    OK, I'm working on the teaser trailer for my next feature. I don't plan to get the trailer rated by the MPAA, so I know I won't be able to use the classic "The following preview has been approved for all audiences by the Motion Picture Association of America" screen--but would there be any legal issues using a similar screen without "by the Motion Picture Association of America"? Could I use a screen that simply says "The following preview has been approved for all audiences"? Thanks in advance!
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I wouldn't go claiming it was "approved" if no one approved it. "suitable for all audiences" of something like that should be okay.

Just as long as you don't use the MPAA rating scheme, you're pretty much allowed to describe it as you please. the official MPAA line can be found at

Just as long as it's obvious that what you're showing there is not their slide, you're fine.
  3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Why do you even need it?

I worked as a projectionist for about 5 years back in the 90s. When I first started we used to cut the "green band" off (that's what we called it) because it was ugly and ate into the total run time.

Years later we had to quit doing it for legal reasons but I would have been happy to keep cutting the ugly things off. I guess my point is that if you don't need one why would you want one? It's kind of like running ads before trailers. I always hated that.

The "green bands" were pointless anyway, since they were all the same (approved for all audiences). The rare red band (meaning an R-Rated trailer) was against theater policy to run, even in front of R features.
  4. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I'm with iMeowbot here on this one, exactly who has approved this? And if you don't need to have one, why would you want to? Is it just to look official? Maybe it makes it look more professional. Just steer clear of the actual language and rating system and you will be fine.
  5. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2004
    Cadillac, MI
    The only reason I thought I'd put one on would be to make it clear that it is a trailer--not the start of the movie. I'm now thinking toward skipping it, though. In any case--thanks for the help!
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Here in NZ, they just launch straight into the preview, and nobody gets confused about whether they're watching the actual movie or not. They then display a certificate after the preview has finished (just a coloured letter, such as a green G, yellow M or red R, sometimes with a note such as 'contains violence').
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I think there's a program out there that adds realistic (but faux) preview warnings and ratings. I saw it in a MacWorld mag awhile ago I believe. MacCentral may have something on it in their archives. Sorry, I can't remember what it was called.

I'm sure as long as you don't use the real ratings if it's for commercial purposes, you'll be ok. If it's not for commercial purposes, you're pretty much in the clear.