Use The Wiimote On The Mac!

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Dec 5, 2006.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

2. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

HOLY godfather!! imagine if they program that to detect hand writing movements. We can then all have our own mac tablets using our existing macbooks and macbook pros.

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

That is crazy!!! I just told my friend, (whose playing Zedla right now) and he went...oh eh...cool...So if it distracted him for that long, it must be cool.:cool:

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My Wii remote has just officially replaced my Apple remote for Front Row on my Macbook.

Unfortunately, I can't get the Mouse Mode with tilt sensing to work right. How am I supposed to do it? It always ends up in the bottom right corner activating the hot corner for screensaver. I can tilt it left and it moves left, but I can't get it to go up where I want it to.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Smashing :) I'm getting my own controller so I'll be using it for some Mac stuff alright :D

Wii controller version of Sam... bwahahahah

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Can this utility let us point the Wiimote to where the cursor should be? If it can do that and map all the same functions as the Apple Remote to its buttons then it would be the ultimate Mac Mini accessory.

7. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

what is this sam you speak about?

8. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

http://satansam.co.uk/ - still waiting on that Mac version, Jimmi

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. adiosk8 macrumors regular

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If that video came out a year ago the internet would have exploded.

Half Life 2, on a Mac, with a Wii/Revolution controller.

Runs quite well. bit of lag. Funny how they managed to map out the needed HL2 keys onto 1 Wii remote :D I remember folks saying "OMG there aren't enough buttons", but with the nunchuck addon too there's plenty of buttons to go round. Good going guys.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The only thing that I don't like the look of right now is how they're doing the roll left, roll right for moving the mouse left and right. Surely pointing it to the left or the right would be a better solution. I guess that would need the sensor strip though unless the accelerometer's are not in the middle of the remote.

I can't wait to give this a go once I've got my wiimote and wii. I'll probably stick to pointing with the wiimote and wsad controls on the keyboard though.

14. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Hmm, thats pretty neat! Maybe you can use a homemade sensor bar to implement the point functionality, according to ign, a pair of candles work wonderfully :rolleyes:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anything that emits IR yep, the Wii has a nifty IR sensor and mini chip that triangulates its position to the IR source. 2 suns might work too. Either way if the Wii becomes an absolute roaring success I can imagine some companies sticking IR senders on the front of TV's. ya never know!

16. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No. It would need the sensor bar for that. Or at least some sort of IR source. And they haven't written a driver for it yet (the Wii does it all in software).

I hope someone makes nunchuck drivers; the nunchuck's analog stick would make a nice WASD replacement.

Sweet, I'll light a pair of candles on my MacBook! Oh wait...maybe I won't. :p

18. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If this actually works I might end up buying a Wii-mote before I even buy a Wii :rolleyes:

19. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Heh, I was thinking of the same thing

20. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Nicccceeeee

So the Nintendo+Apple gaming console; the next big thing? :D

This is really cool. Hopefully more people will experiement and implement them in awesome ways. The Half Life video was cool, but I don't see myself playin it like that. I want to see some custom sensor bars.

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I got it working, too, like Praxis. But I, too, can't get the mouse function to work properly. :( Its remote capabilities are awesome, though!

Is there a way to map the buttons yourself? I want the + and - to be my volume buttons, when not in FrontRow, and maybe make (A) right click and (B) left click, if I could get the mouse to work.. :\

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My Space Traveler coupled with ControllerMate does just that, to name one of a billion things I use it for. :)

<]=)

The mouse mode works on my Mac. it's really awkward to use though. I had troubles just getting back over to the Mouse Mode button to turn it off.

<]=)

I want a button mapper option. This is going to be my new emulator joystick when all of the kinks are worked out. :)

<]=)

23. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

hey, i have played that before. it was on the cover disc of a pc magazine not too long ago! mind you i couldn't get past the first level

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ruddy nora! Another magazine who didn't ask my permission. May I ask what magazine it was?

25. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

My friend used it and said that it was pretty much unusable..cool idea though.