1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Use this paint to touch up the scratches on your TiBook palm rests

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TheNorthWaves, Feb 11, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

So I've got a Tibook with the same scuffs that everyone else has - the spots where the paint has chipped or worn off the edges (not the middle of the laptop, the edge), leaving an ugly black plastic area underneath. Well, I got sick of that and decided to take my powerbook to Hungates hobbies/crafts store... they must have thought I was crazy holding up the powerbook against all the colored model airplane paint bottles...

Here's what I got, and here's what I think of it. I used a can of Testors Model Master light gray FS36495, it was about $3. Ok - the results: it's not perfect, I can tell that I painted my laptop. In bright sunlight it's a shade too light and slightly less metallic than the paint on the palm rest edge. When the light hits at a 45 degree angle it's noticeable that the paint doesn't match.

Does it look better overall? Absolutely! I imagine most people in my class noticed the black wear/tear marks a lot more than they'd ever notice the paint. There were about 100 different colors at the hobby store and this was the closest one.

So - do this at your own risk, but if given the opportunity to do it again, I would.