Use Toast 8 Titanium to convert Tivo File?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmcgonag, Apr 4, 2007.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I want to convert the .Tivo file to divx, but I don't want to burn it to a CD or DVD. I want to put the converted file on the hard drive.

How do I do this?

Thanks,

Brian

2. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'll answer myself here,

I opened the 'Help' (and i use that term loosely) file in Toast 8 Titanium, and looked at their instructions for converting.

Basically, drag in the file, select Video in left panel, the DVD under that in same panel, highlight file(s) you want to convert, then click Export button at bottom of Toast window.

This brings up a dialog that offers options for conversion. Probelm is the things that the 'Help' file says it should offer, and the actual formats offered are completely different.

Basically it only offers the formats for Portable media (iPod, iPhone, PSP) in 320 x 240 aspect ratio. So, even for a Tivo (non-HD) file, it is a downgrade.

If anyone figures out a better method, let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

3. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

One more reply for the benefit of those who care. There is a free application, found it here in the forums for connecting your Mac to Tivo.

Just Google 'Tivo Decode MAnager for Mac' and you'll find plenty of links.

The program is small simple and easy to use.

You will need the IP address of your Tivo and theh MAK number (basically a password). Check in your TIVO settings area and you'll find it.

Once connected, you'll seea list of the current recordings on your Tivo. Highlight the one you want, then in the Pref pane at the bottom, select the encoding you want...I used Quicktime Mpeg4, reduced the file size by half.

then click Convert, or transfer and covert, or whatever the button is.

This is a method for accessing your Tivo files without hacking your Tivo. It is a bit slow, but start it, go do something else for a while, and it will be done in about an hour and a half for a 1 hour show.

Faster methods exist, but they require hacking your Tivo box.

Best,

Brian

4. murdoc158 macrumors regular