Use Virtual PC Windows disc for Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chimera, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Chimera macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've got Virtual PC 7 with XP Home (the most recent) and it has 2 installation discs. My basic question is whether this can be used for Parallels/Bootcamp when I get an intel mac or whether I should just flog it on eBay and buy a fresh XP install?

Thanks in advance,
    Frankie

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Virtual PC is an emulator that runs in OSX on PowerPC processors. You have to use a full version of Windows with Bootcamp/Parallels.

3. Chimera thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah yes but I think the windows install is seperate to Virtual PC as I could have bought Virtual PC with Windows 98, 2000, XP Home, or XP Pro my question is not about the VP application itself but the Windows install it comes with.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do you have a bootable (on an x86 machine) Windows XP SP2 install disc? If the answer is yes then this should work with BootCamp, although the license may legally tie the copy of Windows supplied to Virtual PC.

If your copy of Windows is not SP2 then it will not work (although you could slipstream SP2 into it). If you do not have a bootable install CD then it will not work.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The fact that VPC is an emulator is irrelevant to your ability to install Windows or any other OS. To your software, it behaves like a very slow PC. The version of Windows supplied with VPC is an OEM version which is configured specifically for VPC. You may also install a standard distribution of WinXP SP2 or Win2000. Older versions of Windows may be installed as unsupported OSes. You can also install non-Microsft OSes such as Linux. To the point, it would be no more or less legal to use the VPC OEM version of Windows on Parallels Workstation than it would be to use a Dell OEM version.

6. foxxlet macrumors newbie

I have happy news for you. It is possible to make a fully legal working version of XP from the version that came with Virtual PC. I found a site that has how to do it.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

You will need the service pack 2 from the MS web page. Its quite complicated but I already had slipstreamed files before. Another site which may be easier to follow is below, you'll still need the files in the archive wxp10.zip from the first page though.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

I've tried this and it works beautifully. Windows activates properly too.

I realise its quite complex specially if you're used to mac, feel free to message me with questions I'll try answer them.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Those slipstreaming instructions are great. Thank you! :)