Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Hey,

I just got a SE K700i to replace my ailing T610.

According to the Apple site (and SE's), this handset is compatible with iSync. So, I go through the bluetooth device setup assistant in OSX, it finds my phone, pairs with it but when you get the screen to select which services to use, iSync is greyed out! WTF?

Can use the data connection, and send/receive files and use with Addressbook without a problem (have tried), but still no iSync. Even when I get iSync to scan for in-range phones, it doesn't show up.

Any idea what the story is?

MrJ

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
if you have a data cable, USB, then that is what you are suppose to use to sync it. your service provider has cut off the bluetooth from using isync accross it. I have verizon, and I can connect to the internet via bluetooth, but can't transfer files or isync over bluetooth. I can isync with my usb data cable, but can't transfer files. So it all depends on who your service provider is, and what rules they have setup for you.

artalliance

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2005
In the cool neighborhood of LA
What worked for me with my Siemens S66 was to create a new user in OS X. Try that, all of the sudden isync worked for me. Something was screwed up in the sync preferences. Then just copy the sync preferences from the new user over to your normal user.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mine is greyed out too, ever since I got the firmware in the phone updated which I imagine is what the new ones come with.

I've got round it by synching from the phone to the Mac (from connections, add device - delete your Mac if it's already there). The phone asks whether you want to synch and ta da, it all seems to work. After that iSync works fine.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Applespider said:
Mine is greyed out too, ever since I got the firmware in the phone updated which I imagine is what the new ones come with.

yeh, its the new firmware that's the problem. Doh! Guess we'll have to see what Tiger brings.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I had the same problem sometime ago with my Nokia 3650, all what I did was, deleted the bluetooth preferences files, unpaired the phone and mac, restart the phone, off/on, pair again and setup things again, it worked, maybe it's not your problem but maybe is a help.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Applespider said:
mrjamin - mine does still work with iSync so long as I pair them using the phone rather than the Mac.

Yeah, I had trouble with my K700i when I first got it.

Use your phone to find your Mac. When you let your PB find your phone, it usually asks you to enter a code on your phone. The code appears on your computer screen. Well, that doesn't happen when you find your computer through your phone.

That's when I cancel and try it again from my computer. Or maybe I didn't cancel that attempt and used my computer to find my phone at the same time. It worked for me when I did it this way.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Applespider said:
mrjamin - mine does still work with iSync so long as I pair them using the phone rather than the Mac.

Ah hah! Nice one - that's done it.

Here's an email i got from SE:

Dear Mr Lancaster,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, Sony Ericsson do not design there [sic] phones to work with Apple Mac computers and therefore make no software available to connect to these computers. Apple are the ones who claim our product works with software so you will have to contact them for support. I very much doubt it is a software problem with the phone it is more likely to be software on your computer getting in the way, such as a firewall or anti virus package. Please contact Apple for further support.

Firewall? Antivirus? Yeh, and my winkie's a banjo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.