Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megaroney

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Blinking 4 lights

I'm on Yosemite, tried the .11 version which works perfectly so far. Only issue is the 4 lights on the controller keep blinking. Its super annoying. Any ideas? I reinstalled the drivers as well... :confused: I also installed the latest beta, .14. Still blinking.

Last edited:

megaroney

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
I'm on Yosemite, tried the .11 version which works perfectly so far. Only issue is the 4 lights on the controller keep blinking. Its super annoying. Any ideas? I reinstalled the drivers as well... :confused: I also installed the latest beta, .14. Still blinking.

Answering my own question, if it helps anyone... I reinstalled the older version .11 after the latest not fixing the blinking. Disconnected battery back and put it back. All good now, and no blinking lights. Think the battery life detection was getting messed up or something. :p

DruidoBianco

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
Hi Megaroney, i had your same issue but i couldn't solve it! i linked successfully my 360 wireless controller with original microsoft adapter, it works great but i have the 4 green led blinking constantly. I was thinking about opening it and placing 4 little black seals on the leds to stop the light, but i really would like to solve like you did!

Can you list the operations you did? i'm using a retina back pro with yosemite, wireless controller works with this problem using the official 0.11 version of the driver.

Thanks for help!

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
The blinking LEDs are a known issue. It's partly to do with the Force Feedback module not being loaded from the new Kext location. There is no ETA for a fix, as it seems to be a problem on Apple's end.

Meanwhile, the old 0.11.0 driver will work, as Apple has whitelisted that version. Note that you won't be using the updated force feedback plug-in of d235j's fork.

Another alternative is to set the kernel to debug driver mode, which makes it capable of loading unsigned drivers (but may make the computer less stable and/or secure) and install version 0.13.1

megaroney

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Hi Megaroney, i had your same issue but i couldn't solve it! i linked successfully my 360 wireless controller with original microsoft adapter, it works great but i have the 4 green led blinking constantly. I was thinking about opening it and placing 4 little black seals on the leds to stop the light, but i really would like to solve like you did!

Can you list the operations you did? i'm using a retina back pro with yosemite, wireless controller works with this problem using the official 0.11 version of the driver.

Thanks for help!

All I did was uninstall all the drivers, then start fresh with the .11 version. Seemed to fix it.

Last edited:

DruidoBianco

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
I already tried 0.13.1 with kernel to debug driver mode on, it didn't work at all, the only one working for me is the 0.11.

Has anyone ever tried the official driver on the cd via wine?

can i simply put the debug mode of by writing

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=0”

can i?

Sir Chimi

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
I am on Mountain Lion and I have successfully installed 0.12. I can't seem to get my controller to be recognized, it is a wired USB controller.

It lights up but the pref pane just says 'no devices found'

Help please?

EDIT: resolved, nevermind

Last edited:

EdDuPlessis

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
I am on Mountain Lion and I have successfully installed 0.12. I can't seem to get my controller to be recognized, it is a wired USB controller.

It lights up but the pref pane just says 'no devices found'

Help please?

EDIT: resolved, nevermind

Use 0.11. And don't forget to install OpenEMU.

samonia

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
So i just got my 360 wireless adapter for my mac. Installed tatts driver version .08 for mac. I open it up in my preference pane and doesn't show that my adapter is there and connecting to my controller, have tried multiple things such as installing older versions. I know that my computer sees my adapter because it shows up on my usb inside my mac with all its information. on 64-bit need some help.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So i just got my 360 wireless adapter for my mac. Installed tatts driver version .08 for mac. I open it up in my preference pane and doesn't show that my adapter is there and connecting to my controller, have tried multiple things such as installing older versions. I know that my computer sees my adapter because it shows up on my usb inside my mac with all its information. on 64-bit need some help.

0.08 is very old, have you tried 0.11?

0.12 is known not to work on Yosemite.

jecartas

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
I have Snow Leopard. It worked perfectly in Leopard. Even though it gives me the errors it still shows the icon in system preferences but when I go to open it on my computer it says: To use the “Xbox 360 Controllers” preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." and once I click ok it reopens into the controller preferences but obviously says no controller found. The adapter is just not seen by Snow Leopard since the drivers aren't compatible with something in the OS.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have Snow Leopard. It worked perfectly in Leopard. Even though it gives me the errors it still shows the icon in system preferences but when I go to open it on my computer it says: To use the “Xbox 360 Controllers” preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." and once I click ok it reopens into the controller preferences but obviously says no controller found. The adapter is just not seen by Snow Leopard since the drivers aren't compatible with something in the OS.

Yep you likely have too old drivers that need updating. Often Apple breaks plugins when they make a new OS and you need to update to the newer version for it to work again.

Edwin

medruid

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
Hello guys,

This solution is for those of you who have the force-reboot problem when plugging/unplugging the wired controllers.

As any forced reboot it's caused by a kernel panic, which in this case is itself caused by some interference between the 360 driver and the Android File Transfer agent/daemon. So the first thing to do is to check if it's running in your Activity Monitor.
(Source: https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/issues/376)

Configuration:
- MacBook Pro early 2011 (Japanese)
- Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5
- 2 wired official Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers
- TattieBogle 0.11 clean install (check other posts if you need reinstalling)

Symptoms:
- 360 controller is recognized and works if plugged from startup or plugged once (sometimes)
- Any unplug or re-plug causes kernel panic and force-reboot

Solution :
- Quit Android File Transfer agent
- [Recommended] Remove it from startup items (see below)

From https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/3hPIZjP0rDo:

It also took me a while to basically get the controllers to work but a 0.11 clean install seems to do the trick. I can now play Lego Star Wars with my girlfriend and plug/unplug the controllers without any issues.

Thanks for all the tips shared here! :)

THAT REALLY HELPS! Thank you so much buddy!

weizilla

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I tried tattiebogle (0.11) and the updated version from github but neither of them works.

I found out that it might be because os x isn't even recognizing my wireless 360 receiver. After I plug the dongle in and go to System Report, there's no listing of any 360 controllers under the USB section. I tried this on a Mavericks hackintosh, Mavericks MacBook Pro and Lion Macbook with the same results on all three. Tried various reboots as well. Nothing

Anyone else have this problem? It's an official ms xbox 360 wireless controller

reundo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
Hello guys,

This solution is for those of you who have the force-reboot problem when plugging/unplugging the wired controllers.

As any forced reboot it's caused by a kernel panic, which in this case is itself caused by some interference between the 360 driver and the Android File Transfer agent/daemon. So the first thing to do is to check if it's running in your Activity Monitor.
(Source: https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/issues/376)

Configuration:
- MacBook Pro early 2011 (Japanese)
- Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5
- 2 wired official Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers
- TattieBogle 0.11 clean install (check other posts if you need reinstalling)

Symptoms:
- 360 controller is recognized and works if plugged from startup or plugged once (sometimes)
- Any unplug or re-plug causes kernel panic and force-reboot

Solution :
- Quit Android File Transfer agent
- [Recommended] Remove it from startup items (see below)

From https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/3hPIZjP0rDo:

It also took me a while to basically get the controllers to work but a 0.11 clean install seems to do the trick. I can now play Lego Star Wars with my girlfriend and plug/unplug the controllers without any issues.

Thanks for all the tips shared here! :)

Fixed my issue with the controller. Thank you so much!!

fatsarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Alright, I hate to resurrect a thread this old but I am pulling my hair out. I am currently running a Mac OS X 10.8.5. I have installed the tattiebogle (0.11) and the (0.12). I found the ControllerList-10.plist file, ran that with the "InstallNewControllerList" automated app. I have installed without the Controller Plugged in, with it plugged in, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, installed some official XBOX 360 controller driver (I think), installed some Mad Catz random software. For the life of me I can't get this controller to work and all of my other controllers are in storage. I am running the Mad Catz #4726 wired controller, my computer shows the Gamepad in the System Profiler (product ID, Manufacturer, etc.) but for Current Required (mA) it lists "Unknown (Device has not been configured)". When I launch the XBox 360 Controllers preference item it shows "No Devices Found". My controller is just sitting like a stump on a log, flashing the 4 green lights right at me, mocking my inability to get the gamepad functional. Posting on this old thread is my only hope right now. I thank anybody that can offer some help.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Alright, I hate to resurrect a thread this old but I am pulling my hair out. I am currently running a Mac OS X 10.8.5. I have installed the tattiebogle (0.11) and the (0.12). I found the ControllerList-10.plist file, ran that with the "InstallNewControllerList" automated app. I have installed without the Controller Plugged in, with it plugged in, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, installed some official XBOX 360 controller driver (I think), installed some Mad Catz random software. For the life of me I can't get this controller to work and all of my other controllers are in storage. I am running the Mad Catz #4726 wired controller, my computer shows the Gamepad in the System Profiler (product ID, Manufacturer, etc.) but for Current Required (mA) it lists "Unknown (Device has not been configured)". When I launch the XBox 360 Controllers preference item it shows "No Devices Found". My controller is just sitting like a stump on a log, flashing the 4 green lights right at me, mocking my inability to get the gamepad functional. Posting on this old thread is my only hope right now. I thank anybody that can offer some help.

I can't offer too much help, except to say my official Xbox 360 controller, both wired and wireless (using an official Xbox wireless adapter) continue to flash the 4 lights even when working properly using the OS X driver. You have to go to the control panel and actually check to see if it is working vs just checking the lights on the controller.

I will ask a dumb question if you have already read this thread, but is your controller wired, or wireless?

Lots of people have the belief adding the charge cable will turn a wireless controller into a wired controller, but that is not the case. The play and charge kit/USB cord simply provides power, but the controller still uses wireless data.

To use a wireless Xbox 360 controller, you must have a USB wireless receiver dongle, which is sold separately (or as part of a kit). I have no idea if Microsoft still sells them, or if third party receivers will work with the OS X third party drivers.

The Xbox one controller works differently and will transmit data via the USB charge cord, so if anyone is reading this post, this does not apply to that controller. (I have no idea on the state of an OS X driver for that controller either.)

fatsarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
I can't offer too much help, except to say my official Xbox 360 controller, both wired and wireless (using an official Xbox wireless adapter) continue to flash the 4 lights even when working properly using the OS X driver. You have to go to the control panel and actually check to see if it is working vs just checking the lights on the controller.

I will ask a dumb question if you have already read this thread, but is your controller wired, or wireless?

Yea, I am fine with the lights flashing if I could get the controller to work, the Control Panel (System Preference) can't access the controller. So my gamepad is not functional even though the green lights are flashing.

My gamepad is wired, it is a Mad Catz 4726, pretty old school I guess, must not have been very popular to begin with. Here is what it looks like if you are curious at all. http://images.madcatz.com/sales_sheets/MOV4726 layout.pdf

bck

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2016
I'm having the same problems here, have tried everything I can think of (and that has been posted earlier, to no avail). Standard X360 wired controller, using 0.12 version of the drivers. Shows up in System Profiler, but not in the Xbox 360 Controllers preference panel. Plug it in and it flashes the LEDs once, then nothing.

Macbook pro 5.1, OSX Snow Leopard (10.6.8). No other gamepad drivers/etc installed.

I've been fighting this thing, installing, uninstalling, rebooting, unplugging, installing, reinstalling, rebooting, etc for like twelve hours. Ready to throw it out the window.

EDIT And one hour later, finally got it to work! Unsure of what combination was required, but...
1. enabled 64bit kernel & extensions
2. installed 0.12, reboot (didn't work)
3. uninstalled 0.12, reboot
4. installed 0.11, reboot
5. removed support for all other controllers but "Controller", reboot
6. success

After seven years this thread seems to still be going strong. What would I do without the collected wisdom of the internet! :D

Made an account to say that dooder's steps above worked for me (for now)! I had actually gotten my wired Xbox 360 controller to work previously using v0.11 of the tattiebogle drivers after several hours of pulling my hair out, but for some reason it just stopped working again so I was back to square one. I hadn't been able to tell what it was that made it work in the first place, so easy come, easy go I guess. However, following dooder's steps worked immediately, and let's hope it sticks!

To be clear, when he says "removed support for all other controllers but "Controller", he's talking about the "+" button to the left of the "Device" dropdown in v0.11 of the tattiebogle System Preferences pane. I just unplugged my controller, unchecked every box but "Controller", plugged back in and it immediately detected my controller! Also, I looked around and it appeared that my computer was already using the 64 bit kernel, so I didn't have to do anything for the first step.

Here are my system specs, in case anyone else is curious:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
System Version:OS X 10.10.5 (14F27) (OS X Yosemite)
Kernel Version: Darwin 14.5.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.