Used Epson 1270?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by munckee, Apr 4, 2006.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    I've been eyeballing the 1280 for a couple of years now, and recently stumbled into the opportunity to buy the 1270 (1280's predecessor) for $40. No ink, paper, or anything else included.

The only problem is that I won't be able to see it print before purchasing (because there's no ink, etc). This is a craigslist buy, so there is a possibility of getting burned.

Can anyone fill me in on how an old 1270 should be expected to perform? Is it worth risking $40 over, or should I pass on it? I'm supposed to grab it in an hour and half (should've posted earlier).
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Basically, no.

If it has been stored without being used for a long time, the heads may be fatally clogged. Check at, but there may be issues with OSX 10.x compatibility on older printers. The ink just to try this puppy out is going to set you back maybe $100 (I haven't checked).

If you have lots of spare time and can risk $140 on a possible throwaway, then OK.
  3. riciad macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    My 1270 worked on Panther fine, don't know about Tiger as it gave up the ghost before I got Tiger.

I'd be doubtful about that one though as it was a great printer while it was working and I'd think they'd find some use for it and not just dump it for that price.

I had no complaints about mine, it just plain wore out. Got more than my money's worth out of it.
  4. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    I decided to pass on this. Just FYI, I called epson and they said it was supported in Tiger. Ink runs ~$25 per cartridge. Paper varies by size, etc, but was $25-$45 for 11x17 sheets.

Basically, I figured I could get what I need printed twice at kinkos for the cost of the epson setup. For the time being, that's better for me.
  5. DrumaChick420 macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2005
    DrummerLand, Connecticut

Hey there,
    I have a Epson Stylus Photo 1280 that I will be selling on Ebay real soon. I just bought a new comp on Apple and went with an all in one printer with the rebate they have going on. As soon as the comp and printer come in and set everything up I will be selling it. It has not been stagnant, I use it all the time. It's a great printer, I just do not have room on my desk and an all in one is what I need. My Ebay name is KudraJenn if you want to check out my feedback.
    Let me know if you are interested..
  6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    I bought a used SP 1280 last year and it is GREAT! yep, da ink aint cheap, but it sure do print some really pretty 13" X whatever length pics & banners :p