Used Filevault, Now data is corrupted -> can't access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by I3roknI3ottle, Jan 30, 2007.

1. I3roknI3ottle macrumors member

Jan 20, 2006
    Ok, so my friend was messing around on his mac mini and got the bright idea to turn FileVault on, well it takes a little time to do this so he left his computer on and turned the monitor off. His dad decided he wanted to use my friends Mac because its better then the family PC and hit the power button thinking the computer was off when it was really the just the monitor. Now the image is corrupted from what he's told me and he doesn't know of any way to get his data unencrypted or uncorrupted. He has a lot of work on his Mac mini, such as home movies and video production work he had did when were in highschool. Is there any way to unencrypt or uncorrupt or save his data?
  2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    Miami, FL
    I think it may be gone. You could try to use a program like Data Rescue to grab whatever may still be intact, or even see if you can boot it into target disk mode if there's another mac around and see if anything is recoverable to burn to disk.

You might also look on Apple's support site to see if there's anything that can be done. Good luck.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hmm, I guess this is a bad time to remind you to always have current backup of the data you cannot afford loosing, right...?

You could try to open Disk Utility and Verify the the Disk (and I guess repair permissions whileyou're in there wouldn't hurt either), and if that reports back that the disk is damaged, post back with the damage report.
  4. I3roknI3ottle thread starter macrumors member

Jan 20, 2006
    yah I googled around and some people said they had success with using disk warrior but this kid is being stubborn and says his one friend is a genius with computers and says all he needs is a external hardrive and he can fix it.. ya right. I love it when people try to say whos a computer whiz and who's not when that person doesn't even know to keep backups :\