Used G4 for one game only

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dane D., Oct 30, 2006.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Just like the title says, I need a used G4 for one game only - UT GOTY. I'v been using my B/W G3/300, Rev A., 6GB HD, but stuffed with 3 internal HDs plus 2 ext. HDs, 896MB RAM, stock ATI vcard, hockey puck mouse since this game came out. This game runs in OS 9.2.2, so I need a OS 9 bootable machine. Would the last bootable OS 9 machine be worth getting, I believe it was a Quicksilver unit, has a strange front panel. It is 1.25GHz, but don't know what vcard it came with. I have seen prices from $1000 - 1300 used. Or is there something less expensive, but with some upgrades be better deal? Please, no suggestions about getting a PC box, wouldn't own a PC even if it was free. I'm in a highly respectable clan and the only Mac user. I hold my own in terms of game play, but would like better fps performance. This game is cpu intense not gpu. Right now I average about 25 fps online play, my PC buds are hitting 70+ fps. Also what is a good Mac gaming mouse.

2. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

For 1000 bucks que the imac!
    I have a G4 MDD Dual 1ghz and the game gets around 80˜90 fps, with the stock R9000pro 64mb card. I would try to get this machine, you can find one used for 700 USD.
    Good luck

Get a PS3 when released!

Is just for gaming

3. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

No consoles, can't stand the controller. I need a keyboard and mouse, I tried UT on PS2, blah. I would add this to my network of Macs (see sig), but its main purpose would be UT gaming.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you want more FPS in UT1, why not play it on the 1.25 Ghz eMac in your sig?

Seriously, you dont need the last rev. G4 PowerMac (FW800) to run it. A 933 MHz PM with GeForce 4 MX 64MB would be the best solution to you, unless you want to run the game at higer resolutions.

Getting a dual-cpu Mac is pointless for this game.

Even in OS X this games runs at 60-140 FPS on my iMac... In OS 9 performance is at least 2x better

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because this game needs a unit that can boot into OS 9, not Classic. The eMac is bootable OS X only. I tried the patch for running in OS X, no good, too many glitches. I just want the fastest stock G4, no aftermarket upgrade cpu.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And buying a cheap Dell just to run this game is out of the question? Why is it such a big deal to buy a PC? Build a cheap one yourself if you need this just for gaming.

7. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I refuse to give MS money, I do not like Windows and I like Mac gaming better. I've had some of my clan members offer to build a custom PC, but politely refused. I'm subjected to Windows torture at work, I don't need that BS at home.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Most of the AGP G4 towers will run this game very well - no need to get an expensive machine. Get a 450/500MHz G4 tower and 256MB RAM and you should be fine.

A new iMac for $999 will play either the PC or Mac version as fast as you could possibly desire...

9. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use a G4/466 DigitalAudio at work, it only gets 30-40fps, with stock vcard. Nice machine, but want a more powerful cpu. I also have tried a G4/DP 867 MDD, it only cranks out about 40-50 fps. That is why I thought a 1.25GHz would be better. From my research Unreal Tournament relies more on cpu than gpu. I realize that this game engine isn't written to take advantage of dual cpus, but like I said earlier, it would be a nice addition to my collection of Macs. On the subject of vcards, which vcard is worth getting? I have read that the ATI 7500 is more than adequate, what about the ATI 9200?

The new iMac won't boot into OS 9, so that is out of the equation.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Just a word of warning - late model Mirrored Drive Door G4 towers are very expensive for what you get...if you are into UTGOTY to the point where you must have 60+ FPS, you can get a 1.25Hz MDD G4 for $600-$800 on ebay. Or get a cheap 450/500MHz G4 for a couple hundred bucks and slap a 1.2GHz OWC processor in it - you'll get the same result.

For a video card, you will get best performance with a GeForce 3, GeForce 4MX (which is slower), Radeon 7500 or better.

Also remeber that MDD Macs are LOUD.

11. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

And put out a lot of heat. Are they reliable? What about installation, fairly easy? Any additional steps besides pulling the old cpu and replacing with aftermarket cpu? Never have done this, curious. Have briefly read about these cpus and have wondered about them. I like this idea, especially since those 450/500MHz G4 are relatively inexpensive.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a Rev A. G4 450 'sawtooth' that I just retired, see my sig, got a new Mac Mini on Saturday. It is a G4 450 with 768 MB RAM, and I have all the original 9, 9.1, 9.2 disks. I actually looked at OWC the other day and they say that the CPU upgrade is 10 minutes, easy, and they have 1.6 and 1.25 models about $200-$250 or so.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

For the pre-MDD AGP G4 towers (Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, Quicksilver) G4s OWC sells CPUs ranging from a single 1GHz all the way up to dual 1.8GHz or single 2.0GHz.

I ugpraded my dual 533MHz Digital Audio G4 with an OWC brand 1.4GHz CPU and it is very simple - all you need is a screwdriver and perhaps a grounding wrist strap. They work great and OWC has an excellent service record.

In my case, the new CPU was no louder than the OEM CPUs. If you can score an older G4 tower *with AGP* (avoid the Yikes! PCI tower which is basically a blue & white G3 tower with a G4) for around $200-250 you can get a new CPU and be ready to game for only $300-$450 depending on which parts you buy.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I didn't know that they put PCI in the early G4s. Mine is AGP and it was one of the first available, ordered Dec 1999, arrived late Feb 2000.

It was the high end at the time with the DVD-RAM drive and Zip 100 setup. Even though I ordered it without the Zip, it showed up that way.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The PCI Yikes! G4 showed up in the late summer of 1999, and was still on sale when the AGP G4s showed up. The AGP towers are much more upgradeable in terms of video cards and CPUs.

16. colocolo macrumors 6502

Let me get this straight...

You need the computer to be able to handle just this particular game, right?
    40fps is not goodd enough? You can actually tell the difference between 40fps and 80 fps? It will make you better at it? Wow! :eek:

I must say, I am impressed.

PS: must be a pain to go to see a movie. I imagine you always end with a big headache! I hate those puny 24fps!

17. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its the only game I play, no, it would also be used as a family machine. Browsing the internet, email, financial stuff, record keeping, music, photo repository. My daughter would love to use it, since she is wanting a better computer (uses the 8500/120), my wife would be using it for email and internet. I'm a photographer, I can put Photoshop on it and quit using the G3 for Photoshop. Many uses, just looking for a upgrade to the G3 that will boot into OS 9. The G3 is fine, but a faster machine would be nice.

18. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

There is actually a difference in FPS in games, because the gpu will try to load every frame, so you end up with the game actually slowing down when the required fps is really, really far from being met (this has been my experience, at any rate).

BTW, you can just upgrade your CPU and card. I'm sure that's been mentioned in the thread already, but I know they have G3 1gHz upgrades, and I think G4s up to 800 (?). As for cards, there are a few good PCI cards you can flash, though I know there is a very low ceiling on that.