Used iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 3dmund, Jun 18, 2005.

1. 3dmund macrumors newbie

hey everyone. i'm new to this forum but i've been reading it for awhile. i am looking for a laptop, preferably an ibook, thats used. i am just wondering what model i should get. are clamshells any good? i like the look of it but are they really really slow and can i install tiger on it if i max out the ram? I am also wondering where i could find a good site for used ibooks because my mom doesn't want my buying off ebay. I will use the computer for mainly documents, itunes, surfing the net, watching music videos, downloading, and the usual things. i don't play many computer games. my budget is also <$500 since i'm hoping to get a new ibook once the rev. b intel ibooks come out. i will also be travelling to england for next year so where will the laptops still work there? or do i have to get a special adapter or something to plug into the laptop? so basically i am deciding between a clamshell and the g3 ibooks. thanks guys and gals!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. 3dmund thread starter macrumors newbie

hey. thanks for the reply but unfortunately, i'm in canada. so i don't think i'm able to buy from the us refurb store. is there one for canada? oh and are there any major problems that occurred in the ibook clamshells or the g3 ones? don't want anything to happen while i'm overseas.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe that there is an Apple Store online in Canada. Look in the right hand lower area of the store site that has the red card that says save.

I have a G3 clamshell iBook purchased in 2001, that is still running strong. Mainly use it for folding and the web.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

the last time i looked, the refub store didnt really have anything below a ibook G4 12 inch with a 1.2Ghz and a 30gb hd

6. 3dmund thread starter macrumors newbie

yah, you're right. and canada doesn't have a refurb store on the apple website.

7. amholl macrumors 6502

macofalltrades is good but idn about shipping to canada.

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

try ehmac.ca there are some good deals there...
    i got my powerbook there last week for $1,200 less than buying new with student discount...

9. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Keep looking around Ebay for G3 iBooks and you will find yourself a nice deal at a nice price, look to find auctions ending at odd times and you will find a good deal...If i were you i would be looking for a 500mhz+ G3 iBook you should be able to get one for under $500...

ShadOW :cool:

10. evolutioneight macrumors member

Also try Craigslist if you live in Toronto or Vancouver, there is always a couple of used G3's for sale around 500$ at any given point.