Used iMac G4 or New Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by switcher'05, Jul 1, 2005.

1. switcher'05 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a either a used iMac G4 or a new Mac Mini as a second computer. I have a spare keyboard & CRT monitor to use with the mini but I really like the one-piece iMac. Need advice. Which should I buy? What minimum specs should I look for? What's a reasonable price for a used iMac G4 (min 1Ghz, 512 meg Ram, 80 gig HD, USB 2.0 & airport card). I don't need a super drive model, got one on my iMac G5.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... LCD or CRT. I personally couldn't go back to CRT even if it means a slight loss in other area such as CPU or GPU speeds. But that's just me.

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i'd go for the mac mini- you get a brand new computer with up to date software

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'd say iMac. All in one design, movable LCD, easier to upgrade ram (as no warranty to void!)

Mac mini's annoy me because they have an external powerbrick, and believe me... cables annoy the hell outa me, so I'm going to have to say iMac.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

the imac g4 that you are looking for would probably cost as much as a entry-level imac g5 (just a guess)..Since you already have an imac g5, go for the mini...the mini is more up to date as well..

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I rather send the extra $$$ and buy somethign new then a used computer. I have had many problems with used computers, just go with the mini its a lot safer and is upto date.

7. switcher'05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Mini with Slight Lead

Okay, So far that's 3 votes for a new Mac Mini & 2 voters for a used iMac G4. Any other opinions? For those recommending the Mac Mini, 1.24 Ghz or 1.42 Ghz.? Thanks again, your opinions are appreciated.

8. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

I'd guess you'd be paying close to 800 bucks for an imac g4 with those specs. Then again, that's ebay, so you're taking a gamble to begin with there. Similar imac g4s from any reputable web dealer look to be in the 1000 dollar range. I'd say a refurb imac g5 in a heartbeat, but since you already have one, I'd go for the mini, which you could also use as a second computer with the crt for now, and then a wonderful multimedia server if you were to hook it up to a nice widescreen television that you might buy at some point in the future?

I've been tempted to get a imac g4 because that chrome swivel arm is just so darn sexy, but when you consider longevity, any g4 is going to be getting old, real fast. So perhaps just getting one of the first or second revisions on the cheap? Just as a piece of apple history? I found a few 800mhz 15 inchers, with superdrives on ebay for under $550. Geeze that was confusing. Sorry! :D

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The mini's are a fantastic deal as long as you don't go overboard.

A 1.25 GHz model reasonably equipped with 512 RAM, 80 GB HD, Combo Drive, Apple Wired KeyBoard and Mouse, covers all the basics for $621.00 (education) and gets you Tiger.

I added the Apple KB & Mouse for $52.00
    I wasn't sure how important the Airport/Bluetooth module would be for basic use and that would have added another $89.00

Then just for kicks, I priced out the 1.42 GHz eMac with combo drive
    as follows:

• 512MB SDRAM DDR333 - 1 DIMM
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    • Apple Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS - U.S. English
    • 17-inch flat CRT display
    • 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 64MB DDR video memory
    • 56K internal modem
    • Integrated stereo speakers
    Estimated Ship:
    1-3 business days
    Free Shipping
    Subtotal $794.00

Adding a SuperDrive gets you a really nice secondary kid proof system
    for $899.00

The only other option I would consider would be an iBook.
    That gives you the benefits of portability adding very nicely to your iMac G5.