Used Mac OSX for the first time! Wheres the hash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJC17, Oct 15, 2005.

1. DJC17 macrumors member

My Uni has just got a load of iMacs in the computer room, went to check my email between classes on a PC, but the PC's were all booked out. Bit worried about using a Mac cos I'd never done it before, and didn't want to look an idiot in front of everyone!

After a couple of minutes of working out what does what (my God, that single button mouse will take ages to get used to!) I picked up the basics nicely and was happily surfing the net and checking my email. Good stuff Apple.

But one problem. My email password has a "hash" key in it, and that particluar key was noticably absent fron the keyboard. Problems. I got round it by getting the symbol from Words "insert symbol", and pasting that into the password box. There must be an easier way than that?! Why no hash? I use it a lot!

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

by hash do you mean #?
    on a uk keyboard i believe it's option(alt)+3.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

4. DJC17 thread starter macrumors member

Thats the kiddie, I'll give it a go on Monday when I'm in front of a Mac next!

Interestingly, there is a link to this forum in the favourites on every iMac at the Uni.

5. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Go to System Preferences > International > Input Menu and select Keyboard Viewer. From the right menu menu bar, Show Keyboard Viewer.

From there, press 'alt/command' and see what key is assigned to which special character you are looking for (i.e '#').

Attached Files:

6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hey, when you order the computers in your sig, use your favorite 2 button mouse and it should work just like in windows.

I use a kensington optical with mouseworks (4 button) and I can program the keys to do different functions in tiger (expose... dashboard etc) and I don't like the 1 button mouse at all. Love my mac!

7. DJC17 thread starter macrumors member

I want a bluetooth one tho for a complete wire-free experience, the only wire being the power cord! Is there a bluetooth two (more more) button mouse avaliable?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not from Apple, but basically any PC bluetooth mouse will work just fine.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's becoming less and less true with Logitech pumping out all sorts of "smart mice", but most mice will work fine with OSX.