Used Mac(s)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 12, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hi all -

I am a returning Mac user... I started with macs back in the Mac Plus days, but have been a PC user for the last 10 years, so I am not to knowedgable about the past couple years of Mac technology... I had an iBook G4 briefly, but due to financial issues I had to get rid of it.. I LOVED it and long for it every time I sit at my computer...

So, I am looking at getting a used Mac. My budget is going to top out at around $800, but more would definately be NICE. My computing needs are pretty basic: Web/email/chat type stuff, word proccessing, spreadsheets, midling (is that a word?) photo editing (GIMP user here), some programming and web development work as well, and running OSX10.3 is a must!

Also, I am a casual gamer, and while I am content with moving to more console games (already happening as I have been using Linux for the last 2 years), I would like to be able to play some games, like Warcraft 3, Unreal 2k3, and maybe even World of Warcraft. My 933mhz iBook handled UT2k3 and Warcraft 3 fairly well, and I hear reports of WoW being fairly low on resources.

My first thought were of an iMac G4, but I'm not sure how cheap those have become at this point, and also they seem to be limited in upgradablity. What sort of older PowerMacs might fit my needs? I am a very compotent PC tech, so doing some upgrading to an older machine with moe RAM, new video card, had drives, etc. to bring it up to specs would be fine for me, but the total cost would have to stay in my budget. Also it would need to include an LCD monitor (used, refurb, or cheap off-brand is fine)...

So is there any hope for me getting something that can do what I want and is within my budget? Any advice on where to look for deals? Also, I'd like to move my wife to a Mac, but her needs are a little less than mine. She uses her system for web/internet, word proccessing, spreadsheets, music, and photos (more browsing than editing). The catch with her is that she HATES to wait for stuff to load, so she needs a system that is snappy/responsive, but not all that powerful. An LCD display for her is a must, but she has one that she could use with non-all-in-one style system.

Sorry for the massive length here, but I'm gettign really desparate to get a Mac! :) Oh, last thing, I promise, but if I hold out till February (latest I am gonna make it!) is there any hope of me getting either a cheap LCD eMac upgrade or significatly lower price on a used/refurb?

Thanks!
    Rob

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Right now, you can get the original iBook G4's for around $800. If you can do a little bit more, though, I highly recommend the newest revision of G4 iBook. I have the 1.2 GHz 12", and I love it.

Daniel

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

While I appreciate the reply, I am looking for a desktop machine... for the most part, the dollar can stretch quite a bit further in a desktop than a laptop, so I can get alot more for my $800 that way.

I loved my iBook while I had it, too! Next year I'll probably get one of the older iBooks (something in the $400 range) as a second computer, but for now a desktop is my primary focus.

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Oh, I almost forgot. You can also get an Apple certified (reconditioned) eMac, 1.25 GHz, 256 MB RAM, SuperDrive, 80GB HD, for $799.

Daniel

5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

if you get an ibook, can you take it with you to iraq/wherever they are sending you?

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Woops, I forgot that was on my sig! I bought an iBook to take to Iraq with me actually, and then got scrubbed from the mission about 48 hours before I was suppsoed to leave! This left me with no job (I am an IT contractor, so I didn't have any new contracts lined up, and had turned several down as I didn't expect to be here... I ended up selling the iBook to my sister (well, my parents and grandparents all pitched in to buy it) so I could pay rent and whatnot while I found a new job...

Now I want to get rid of my PC and add in some of my tac return and get a "new" desktop machine.

Now that I am posting anyways, what do people think of the dual G4 800mhz "Quicksilver's"? What is a good price for one? Any recommendations for LCDs that aren't as god aweful expensive as Apples?

Thanks everyone!

Rob

7. rstroud macrumors regular

Sent you a PM...

8. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Can anyone comment on a good price for a 467mhz Digital Audio Powermac, with 1gb ram and a 120gb HD?

Also, how are the CPU upgrades for these machines? Does the 1ghz upgrade perform comparably to a "true" 1ghz PM?

Thanks guys!
    Rob

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Well, I can't say I have a good price but www.everymac.com has recommended prices for most of the Macs on the site.
    And about the upgrade... the RAM speed is slower, the hard disk bus speed is slower, and and bus speed in general is slower. So, it will be slower than a 'real' 1Ghz machine but plenty fast nonetheless.

10. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks! That site is very usefull!

11. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sorry I am kind of flooding my own thread here, but I have an unusual amount of free time today, so I have been reseraching all these Macs... one thing I was looking at, per a previous suggestion is the new eMacs... the 1.25ghz models. (I know that new eMacs are impending, just looking for comparrison).

With 512MB ram and a 80gb HD I can get one for $861 w/ education discount (my wife is a student). I'm just a little iffy on the non-upgradability, the CRT (as opposed to an LCD) and I think they are kind ugly =p. For that price I could get an older Powermac and upgrade it's processor and video card, where and when needed.

What do people think about the eMacs? They have a VGA out port, and it says they are mirroring only, but I recall seeing that iBooks had a hack to get the screen to span over two screens, rather than mirror... does something similar for the eMac exist? That would make the CRT more bearable, as I could add an LCD and use the built in display.

I guess I am asking if an older, used Powermac is a better value than a new eMac?

Thanks for all the help, sorry for being one of those annoying "make a million posts a day" people... :)

Rob

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Yes, the "hack" works for both iBooks and eMacs. If you can get a cheap lcd go for it.

Have to look at all the internals not just Processor speed. :)

13. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's definately some cheap LCDs out there (they don't even look that aweful ;-))... we use Dell 17" LCDs at work, and they are pretty easy on the eyes, and cost about $240. I may also have lead on some 'used for 5 days' 17" and 19" LCDs for half off next month, so finding an LCD isn't going to be the hard part.

I definately agree with that there's more to a system that just pure CPU speed. The newest eMacs are generally better (on paper) than the older PMs. Faster bus, faster RAM, faster HD controller, etc. I'm wonder if people have an direct experience comparing a 1.25ghz eMac to, say, a 733mhz Quicksilver PM, or a 1ghz Digital Audio PM...

Thanks again :)

Rob