Used Mac Site Called "www.cmd-r.com"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stepbasin, Jan 29, 2005.

1. stepbasin macrumors member

Has anyone ever heard of this site? Its called www.cmd-r.com and allow people to post for sale used Macs & associated hardware and software. Anyway, it looks like it could be pretty cool it just needs some more people to look at it and post stuff. Anyway, please give it a try and see what you think.

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

3. iBook macrumors regular

Not in my opinion. I appreciate information like this.

As an owner of a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my closet and a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my bookcase, I appreciate knowing where to find a market for these machines.

Furthermore, the category is "Marketplace and Classifieds." :eek:

What did you expect? Everything in here is going to be sales-oriented.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

It is actually in buying tips and advice ;)

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Interesting that it doesn't have a "whois" entry... I'd be inclined to stay away from there. :confused:

6. stepbasin thread starter macrumors member

What is a "whois" entry? And this is not meant to be spam, just a suggestion for those of you who might be interested in other outlets for selling used stuff.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

A "whois" entry is the report you can get regarding any website's registration information. From the Unix command line, you type in "whois cmd-r.com" and you should get a report of when the site was registered, who owns it, when it was created, etc.

But I mispoke - it does have a whois entry when queried from Network Solutions website. It wasn't found when I did it from the command line earlier, for some odd reason.

The reason I did a whois lookup is because I wanted to see when the site was created. A lot of times scam sites will have a very recent start date. The cmd-r.com site was set up just last November. Note that this doesn't mean it's a scam site! It just means it's a new site, and so one should tread especially carefully when it comes to personal info, money changing hands, etc.