Used Mac without OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ichii, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I was planning to buy a used mac, but it doesn't come with any OS could I use the disc that came along with my macbook to install OSX?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

No, you'll need to buy a copy of OS X.

What are the machine you looking to purchase specifications??

3. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The macbook has the intel version of OS X, you'll need a copy of a PowerPC version in order to install.

I too would like to see the specs.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Not to mention the legality of the EULA - OS X on the MB Restore CD is specifically for that machine. Apple does sell current versions of OSX through their website, but I'd suggest picking up a used copy on eBay or here on the forums.

5. ichii thread starter macrumors 6502

ichii

I was planning to find a used imac G3 on ebay for my mom so she can use it just for basic thing such as email and internet. But I might just get myself a G5 C2D and just give her my PC :D

6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

If she doesn't need Tiger on the used G3, you can probably find 10.2 or 3 on eBay for not much money.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Wow, I'd love to see that machine ;)

As for the OS, I agree with previous posters. Buy a copy on eBay or here in the forums. If I remember correctly, iMac G3s can't handle Tiger. (at least mine couldn't :p)

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

G3 iMacs can, but some will require install by either FW or Tiger CDs... And of course, upgraded RAM and enough HD space.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If anything get 10.3 for the G3. Not as much software is supported under 10.2, from what I recall 10.3 is also better optimized than 10.2, I am certain that 10.2 was better optimized than 10 and 10.1. Though 10.4 has some nicer features than 10.3 it really kills those G3 processors especially if it has less than 512mb RAM.

Did spotlight premiere in 10.3 if not that is the major advantage of 10.4, unless you think dashboard is great, I never have had any use for dashboard.