Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Hello,

I am considering purchasing an 11-inch MacBook Air tomorrow. I have not seen the computer yet in person, but assuming it's in excellent shape (as that's what I've been told) I have tentatively agreed to a price of $1150.

The specs are:
-8GB 1600MHz RAM
-256GB Flash Storage
-2.0GHz dual core Intel core i7

The computer comes with the box, charging cables, and receipt.

Am I getting a fair value for this computer?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems....

a fair price for me, provided the computer dont have cosmetic or functional issues.

:):apple:

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have this machine - 11", 2.0gHz, 8GB, 256 SSD. If I could only get $1150 for it, I think I'd just keep it! Of course, condition is everything ... mine is pristine. If the one you are looking at is also in nice shape, and comes with the box and charger, I'd say you're unlikely to make a mistake at that price.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I have this machine - 11", 2.0gHz, 8GB, 256 SSD. If I could only get $1150 for it, I think I'd just keep it! Of course, condition is everything ... mine is pristine. If the one you are looking at is also in nice shape, and comes with the box and charger, I'd say you're unlikely to make a mistake at that price.

Is that your primary machine? Or do you use it as a secondary computer?

I have the 13-inch MBA right now as my primary computer, but thinking that an 11-inch MBA and iPad Mini might be the way to go for me.

I am trying to be as portable as possible. Use the computer with a monitor at home though.

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
For just a couple hundred more you can get a refurb from apple and returnable if you decide that the spec bump from your 13" wasn't worth it. I'd ask $900 for it, tops. You're the one with the money. Don't let the seller control you. The seller is the one who has the pressure to sell. You're the one who can walk away.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
For just a couple hundred more you can get a refurb from apple and returnable if you decide that the spec bump from your 13" wasn't worth it. I'd ask $900 for it, tops. You're the one with the money. Don't let the seller control you. The seller is the one who has the pressure to sell. You're the one who can walk away.

Yeah, that sounds kinda high for a used laptop. Who knows what it's been thru too.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Is that your primary machine? Or do you use it as a secondary computer?

I have the 13-inch MBA right now as my primary computer, but thinking that an 11-inch MBA and iPad Mini might be the way to go for me.

The 11" MBA is my travel machine. I have back problems, and found my 15" MBP too much of a strain to carry. I'm sure the 13" would be fine as well; I find that the MBA and my iPad serve very different purposes.

I just don't think you'll find a sweeter - or more portable - option than the 11" MBA. If the one you're looking at has been well cared for, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Back last year when I got my MBA, I looked at used.

It looked like the people selling a USED MBA wanted as much if not more than a new one. Ridiculous.

My advice, just get new, people are morons and believe that if their MBA is in pristine condition from a non-smoking home, it is worth as much as a new one.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012

It looked like the people selling a USED MBA wanted as much if not more than a new one. Ridiculous.

My advice, just get new, people are morons and believe that if their MBA is in pristine condition from a non-smoking home, it is worth as much as a new one.
But don't computers appreciate in value drastically after you buy them? I have a graphics card from 2004 that was $100 then. I'll let it go for $150.

Seriously, look at used computers, or hell any electronics on craigslist. Just because you paid $800 a year ago doesn't make it worth $600 now, especially if that industry progresses rapidly.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
But don't computers appreciate in value drastically after you buy them? I have a graphics card from 2004 that was $100 then. I'll let it go for $150.

Seriously, look at used computers, or hell any electronics on craigslist. Just because you paid $800 a year ago doesn't make it worth $600 now, especially if that industry progresses rapidly.

100% agreed. Reson being I bought a new MBA. The weenies on Craigslist and ebay wanted nearly full price for an out of warranty item. Made more sense for me to buy a new one WITH warranty.

I would like to know where some people get this great deal on used Macs, I have never found one.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Where? From a relative?

Just by chance. We just finished an erotic photoshoot with model we found on craigslist. My friend made a comment about how he needs to get the air like I have, the model tells my friend that her uncle just got a DUI and was selling his to raise money.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just by chance. We just finished an erotic photoshoot with model we found on craigslist. My friend made a comment about how he needs to get the air like I have, the model tells my friend that her uncle just got a DUI and was selling his to raise money.

I am never able to stumble on deals like that. Even if I didn't need a MBA, for $400 I'd buy it.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I am never able to stumble on deals like that. Even if I didn't need a MBA, for $400 I'd buy it.

What a steal. I would definitely buy one for that price.

FYI, I didn't end up buying the one I originally posted about. Just kept my 13-inch Air for now. If I stumble upon a deal like that I will return my 13-inch Air immediately.

neilly93

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013

I love how nobody batted an eyelid at the first part of that story!

Sounds like your friend got a great deal anyway!

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

To be fair, I have sold apple computers for more than I bought them for. It's not hard to find someone willing to pay that price.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Just got the computer. Met the person at the Apple store and got a Genius to take a look at it. I booked 3 appointments sequentially just in case (45 minutes). The Genius ran some tests, checked the battery, power cable, and such, and the MBA came back A+.

Physically, the machine is pristine, nothing wrong there from my perspective or the Genius who took a look at it.

The MBA also came with some unexpected extras, such as a nice Incase sleeve (a nicer one than the one people usually buy), and a USB ethernet adapter.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the purchase. For $950, it was a steal IMO.

Thanks all again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.